Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bcorig, Jan 19, 2020.

1. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

https://www.strymon.net/products/flint/

Tried it out at NAMM yesterday, ordered one from Sweetwater today. Three different reverb and three different tremolo settings. I couldn’t believe the sounds it produces.
    Cant wait ‘till it arrives

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had mine for a couple of months now, it is really fantastic. I love the harmonic trem into the plate reverb and the spring reverb into the tube trem. Enjoy!

El Tele Lobo and Vibrolux59 like this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

It’s a really nice unit. I have used one for a couple of years with my acoustic rig at a church I played at. Works well with a mandolin as well. Had it just before the Mesa acoustic pre-DI.

Of course, one could use it with a Tele...

El Tele Lobo and Vibrolux59 like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Is this an updated version? I bought mine used something like 5 or 6 years ago now.
    Sold all my other reverbs and tremolo pedals shortly after getting it.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  5. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I grew up with a Fender 6G15 Reverb (tube and spring unit about the size of a shoe box). A very unique and (for many) desired reverb sound. It can be temperamental and a bit delicate when transporting. It does not have a vibrato circuit.

Then, when blackface amps sported reverb and tremolo (vibrato), that kind of spoiled us a bit. The convenience of the built in effects.

IMO, the Strymon Flint does a very good job of capturing the tube and spring technologies of the classic Fender years about as well as any pedal out there. It is easy to transport, rugged and reliable and a good choice for many. I have two of them. I like the sound of my old Fender 6G15 just a but more, but I don't want to haul it to the gig. So I take the Flint.

Buck

High Head Brad likes this.
  6. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

THE reverb stomp, IMHO. It's Hall setting gets awfully close to the Lexicon rack units I love from the 80s. So much so that I have (*gulp*) three on different pedalboards.

If The Flint is good enough for my favorite strummers — Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Zane Carney — it's certainly good enough for me.

7. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure it's great for home and studio but I like a tap tempo for gigging.

8. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

You can set up a tap button/switch. It has a jack for one.

The Flint replaced my Holy Grail Nano and my Demeter Tremulator. Two well-regarded heavy hitters in their respective fields. I haven’t looked back.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

best I've ever owned, and I'm old

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ultra cool!

11. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Been using mine about a year now. Sounds great, no plans to get rid of it. Using it with a Quilter Rt 101.

12. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great unit. I stopped hauling around my spring units when I got the Flint.

13. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I've heard nothing but good things about these but if you have an amp with trem/reverb does it offer that much more?

Seems like most amps have tre/reverb though so guys are getting this in addition to......???

14. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I got mine originally so I could have trem and reverb when I'm playing my tweed champ clone. It also gave me reverb when I'm playing my 6G2 (1962 Brownface Princeton). In addition to the reverb it gives me access to the choppier trem that the BF amps have in addition to the Princeton's built in bias wiggle trem. I also use it with my BF Vibrolux Reverb to give me a REALLY good imitation of the amazing bias wiggle trem that made me love my Princeton so much. I have actually started plugging into the Normal channel of the VR and using the reverb on the Flint because the Normal channel has a little beefier sound and because the Flint's reverb is that good.

...so there's that.

15. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

The Flint, El Cap and Deco are three of Strymon's best units IMHO. The Flint was the second Strymon I purchased after the El Cap a few years ago. The Deco came this Christmas. :) If anyone here is on the fence about the Deco, I can't recommend it strongly enough. What a fantastic pedal. Flange, phase, drive and double track....draw droppingly good. Here is a YT video from TPS, done a few years ago.

ConsiderMeMiles likes this.
  16. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

Reasonable question, but the Flint offers much, much more variety. Spring? Yes, and you can even control how bright and/or dark it is. Plate? You betcha —and your Fender blackface can't do that. Hall? Yup, and it rivals the best 80s rack units.

Same with the tremolo side — three varieties, each uniquely unique!

17. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Great pedal. Regret selling mine.

Start watching all TV series and albums that credit T Bone Burnett for the music score and production. That should get your tremolo juices flowing.

18. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I love my Strymon Flint so much that it is in my Hall of Fame/Never sell items.

19. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

I'm generally not a fan of Strymon pedals but the Flint is the exception. The spring reverb is great for a digital effect and the tremolo is very good IMO. It's a great solution for live rigs

20. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, got those and the Lex.
    Regarding the tap tempo - it's already been answered, but yes you can do that too. Something that doesn't get mentioned by anyone except me with these Strymon pedals is that an Expression can be assigned to any of the knobs. Get one and explore new possibilities. I really like the footprint of these things. Stereo capable, not too bloated with features, and they sound great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.