Strymon announces Iridium

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DaphneBlue, Oct 23, 2019.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Looks like the Fender marketing model, which isn't too bad. Looking for 'core' sound(s) rather than the 'kitchen sync' box. How many have a multi-FX box with 256 sounds and you only ever use 3 or 4? Regardless how good the other 250 sound, you use what you like, so variety isn't everything. Chances are when you walk up to your Deluxe Reverb, the knobs haven't moved since the day after you bought it either.

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

See point #4 above! I was almost decided on the HX Stomp, but now I"ll have to give it a re-think due to this guy. Everything I want and nothing I don't in a high quality wrapper is pretty appealing.

4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Have you tried it?

Not everyone likes line 6 tone and feel.

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but you would need to buy powered speakers or play through a PA in your bedroom, you can't just put it in front of an amp like a regular pedal.

dreamingtele likes this.
  6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like it will work into an effects return if your amp has one, but yeah, that does limit it.

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I'll just stay with my Tech 21 GT2 thank you.

8. fugazi39

fugazi39 Tele-Meister

Ok. Here’s what I would want to use it for. Run my whole pedal board into it and then use the headphone jack for silent playing. Would that sound good? Hmmm.

audiopablo and Axegrinder77 like this.
  9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Pass

If only because the demo video of the 'round' sound was a few ppl all essentially playing the same thing the entire time....fancy looking chords, playing without a pick and a percusive hand. I don't play that way in the real world, only in my living room ocassionally when I feel especially duechy.
    What about the rest of us, 95% wankers that aren't smart enough, nor have the inclination to play like that....

Strymon snobbery

Mad Kiwi and dreamingtele like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

But, but THE TONEZZZZZ!!!!

I see this appealing to the P&W guitarist who has to please a picky church sound guy who will not allow anything by Line 6 or that's made in China to be plugged into his board. But, he's OK with anything by Strymon because of the reputation of their ambient pedals and that it's expensive and "boutique".

I think it is a rather limited unit in comparison to amp/IR units on the market across the price spectrum. I'd rate it as a nice try but falling far short of the bar set by the competition.

joe_cpwe and dreamingtele like this.
  11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

What about plugging it in your stereo?
    Not that I am interested but for those who are Strymon makes outstanding products.

12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

At first I was excited, I thought finally I can replace my Tech21 Blonde/ (I also have the Joyo American Sound as a back up) off my board.. I use it as an amp emulator and be consistent whether I plug into an amp or direct to PA..

then Ive read the product desc that its not recommended to be played in front of an amp.. :( its 799 australian dollars.. too much.. thats a nice used tube amp! or a used Telecaster.. Id take a guitar any day..

borducks, Bones and DaphneBlue like this.
  13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ive had the same experience.. I covered my Joyo American Sound with stickers, and he couldnt believe it when I revealed it to him.. bless his heart..

P.S. I dont use any Strymon pedals.. Boss reverb and digital delays do it for me for less money.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Axegrinder77

They aren't even out yet. How can you "rate" it without playing it? I mean, it's main feature is suppose to be the sound quality. YouTube is so compressed. Virtually useless for gear evaluation, other than a very general idea.

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

golly I hate Strymon. They make such great sounding gear that I can't afford... boo-whoo poor me

DaphneBlue likes this.
  16. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Yeah the price is always an issue. However, if I find it second hand, I'll give it a try. It seems to be a good option for quick rehearsals, demo recording or even for an amp that dies during a gig.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

By comparing features. For example, it doesn't seem to have a way to load additional IRs or to control mic selection or placement. Maybe it's intended for the flip phone curmudgeon crowd who are a bit technophobic?

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. Axegrinder77

Or for people who don't care about loads of features, but rather a straightforward box that sounds believable. Ie does a few things really well vs a lot of things not so great.

I'm looking forward to trying one. It's got all I need. Not technophobe. Just don't have time or desire for a ton of features. If it sounds and feels more inspiring to me than a helix, I'll probably buy one. Less features is actually a good thing for me. More time to play my guitar!

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You can load up IRs via the USB connection and software. I guess to you I'm a "technophobic flip phone curmudgeon" but when I play music I don't enjoy doing file transfers, firmware updates, reading manuals, etc. - I want knobs that do what the label says. I CAN do all of that stuff but I really don't like to, and would rather have a few good choices at the twist of a knob than to obsess over tiny nuances of tone.
    There is - now - a whole range of modeling product and level of interface complexity. I can understand wanting total control over everything,and there are products for that already. What there has not been a lot of are good sounding modeling products that are as simple to use as analog tech.

Axegrinder77 and logans_tele like this.
  20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It's definitely not for the typical hobby player, if they are wanting to replace their amps , you would still have to buy a powered FRFR speaker fir about $1k on top of the cost of the pedal seems impractical to me.

borducks likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.