1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Struggling with decision to sell my J185

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by burntfrijoles, Jan 18, 2018.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have too many guitars even after I have already trimmed the collection quite a bit over the past 18 months. I purchased this J185 around 2003 and it has always been one of my favorite guitars ever. It has a clarity and voicing that is very appealing plus I think it's a stunning looking acoustic. The D-28 in the pic is already long gone. I replaced it with a 000-18.
    The J185 has become expendable because I purchased and fell in love with a Special Edition Southern Jumbo which I now prefer.
    I can live without the J185 and I know it's a good time and decision to let it go but I have sold so many guitars over the years that I have regretted selling. At the same time, none of those guitars that I've sold have had a significant impact on my enjoyment of playing etc. (All guitars are expendable). I haven't played the 185 in over a year. Parting will be such sweet sorrow.
    I just can't rationalize keeping it unless someone offers me a compelling reason.
    fullsizeoutput_15f7.jpeg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It sure looks cool.
    Do you keep it “out”, meaning where you can see and play it?
    Sometimes that keeps me interested in a guitar.
    Sometimes I do just the opposite.
    Put it “under the bed” and forget about it, then pull it out for jamming with friends.
    I had a childhood friend that had a 50s natural finish one.
    Such a cool guitar!
    Anyways, maybe you’re right and it needs to find someone who’ll dig it more.
    Good luck!

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I can't help but to say I went what my wife and family or a non-player would think is overboard buying and trying a lot of stuff and now I'm at 5+ years of happy with very few. The key and not really a secret is just a few very nice and versatile guitars.

What I have might not do justice because I'm a home playing amateur hack but a USA Telecaster, Collings short scale humbucker, and Santa Cruz 14 fret 000 cover the bases whether versatility, quality or tone.

As far as acoustic that Santa Cruz has a shape like your Martin but the woods and build make it sweet all by yourself and it can also go to a bluegrass jam. It's been kind of fun to stop looking, buying or trading and watch the signs of use and age show up.

Have fun with this tough first world sort of decision you have.

:)

4. burntfrijoles

I am just a home playing amateur hack myself. I really just want to keep two electrics and three acoustics (one is a nylon string Taylor). That would mean selling 5 guitars. As much as I like them all, I simply don't need them and think I would be content having less guitars and playing each more. The difficult part is really the psycho-emotional attachment I have developed for them as they each have a different "story" so to speak.
    I would keep my Southern Jumbo and 000-18 but I think I would be happy with an AV64 Tele and a Suhr HSS Strat (or Fender equivalent). If I starting from scratch that is what I would do.

pondcaster and imwjl like this.
  5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

What's the "need" thing you're talking about?

Anyway, whenever I think about selling something, I take it out and play it and sometimes, I'm reminded why I liked in the first place and I decide to hang onto it. The other day, I was thinking about selling my Songwriter since it doesn't get played or gigged since I got a J-45. I took it out of the case and played it and decided against selling it. If I sold it, I'd miss it.

And sometimes, I think, eh, it can go. That usually happens with Les Pauls, though. I've bought and sold three Pauls over the years. I just don't get on with them, but I keep trying.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what shopping is like in or near Jacksonville but I did road trips and spent time visiting truly great places with great inventory. Dave's is one of the best stores anywhere and a day trip. I'm about as far from Chicago where there are some special stores. As far as acoustics one of the best is 10 min from home in Madison. Madison Music also does a lot of long distance business. Hands on with the super instruments made it easy to know the keepers.

The sentimental value or stories disappeared fast when I played my keepers and bought them. I hear what you say but I replaced standard or common but nice Fender, PRS and Martins with not every day stuff that was also priced fair relative to common stuff. I have not followed Gibson or Martin acoustic prices but it appears Santa Cruz and the "Thin Skin" Fenders have climbed since my purchases.

7. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Well the way I got over my guitar purge was to play
    the remaining ones constantly. Keep playing that Jumbo!

8. burntfrijoles

Oh, if I picked it up and played it would tug at me even more but, as I said, I haven't played it in over a year. There's no doubt that it's still a sweet guitar.
    If I sell it, I will put the proceeds into a Mutual fund that I have for my granddaughters college.
    I am also probably selling a Rik 620-12. I love the sound of it and, for some songs, nothing can take its place but it's a niche guitar.
    That probably will be the end of it for this go around but I can see more highly favored guitars departing at some point in the future.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I went through the same agony over one of my favorites for about two years and finally sold a guitar that I thought I'd never sell. I even started a thread about it, perhaps a year earlier too. Surprisingly, I have not missed it for a second. I just didn't play it anymore and my music became more focused and away from the tones that it played. I feel your pain, but once I sold it, I felt a weight off of me. It is oddly a soul searching dilemma. These guitars get under your skin somehow and become very emotional material things.

Ironically just weeks after I sold it, a guitar I have been searching for grabbed me like none other. Maybe the freedom of letting go, allowed me to open my heart for another.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have never sold anything that I truly miss, something else always comes along that I enjoy as much if not more. Having said that, there are a few things I struggled mightly w/ selling and understand where you are coming from. I have a '70s 2x12 PV Classic on consignment at a local shop, it's not worth much, Its far to heavy to wrestle down the stairs to take out on a regular basis, and too bulky to move around the house easily even on a dolly so I play it once or twice a year. Still I have had it forever it was my first "good amp" and I'm tempted to go get it everyday since I put it out. When it finally goes I hope it goes to some 15 year old w/ $100 in lawn mowing money (or the modern equivalent...lap top repair?) who thinks it's "retro cool" and will play it loud and proud. Sounds like it's time to move the J on to it's next guardian who will hopefully get some songs out of it, entertain the folks, or otherwise let it sing out.

11. burntfrijoles

I think this is generally true. I still miss an AVRI 62 Custom I sold but I have a 63 NOS Tele that more than makes up for it.
    Really, more and more I look around and think "why do I have all these guitars?" I think I have guitar fatigue. The proceeds, as I said, will go to a college fund for my granddaughters.

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well, I can identify with that. I used to have 10-12 nice flattops. I only played 2-3 max with any regularity, and really just one favorite. So I sold most of them. Same with some Fenders, and amps. I still have 4 or five Fenders (!), and 4 flattops. I play one flattop and Fender almost exclusively, so a couple more will hit the road eventually.

Life is full of choices, and for me the choice between caring for a buncha flattops I liked but didn’t play much vs just really digging my main guitars was pretty easy once I realized I was happy with my No 1(s). I’ve only regretted selling one flattop in 45-odd years of buying & selling them, and I’m talking a truckload of guitars.

A college fund is a nice thing to do, BTW.

13. burntfrijoles

Thanks. It's an easy decision regarding the college fund.
    As for the guitars, I really feel I'm headed toward having 4 or 5 guitars. My problem is that I like all the ones that I will eventually sell if they don't get played much. On the other hand, they are just unnecessary.
    I no longer have GAS although I do see guitars that are sometimes tempting. However, I've learned that those acquisitions bring only short term gratification.

I'm actually feeling better about parting with the J185. It's just the right thing to do.

14. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a gorgeous J185. I'm sure would go to a good home where it would be played, as it should be. Your investment in your granddaughter seems like a worthy trade!

15. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I had one a long time ago, an original from the 50's (that was long before they got super expensive) It is long gone, but the memory remains. I thought it was the best sounding flat-top I ever had. I probably can't afford yours though.

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Keep it.
    It has a big booty.

burntfrijoles and imwjl like this.
  17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think the 185 is the big Gs best flattop, so I’m a little biased. That being said, if you’re not using it and not going to use it, it may be time to move it on. They also look really cool. I’m not helping am I.

Cheers,
    Geoff

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This won't help at all. I've never sold a guitar or amp that I didn't regret selling. Are you broke? Do you need the money that bad? Don't do something you'll regret.

19. burntfrijoles

No, fortunately I am not broke. I am retired and reasonably comfortable. It's not about the money. It's a wonderful guitar but it's just not played. The regret will only be episodic. It's not the same kind of regret as something that was potentially life altering.

20. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I'm a pretty big fan of the J185's. I really like that shorter scale for bending and lead work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.