Stripped screw hole on my wah- what to do?

soul-o

Friend of Leo's
Before I break my ankle trying to be funky, anybody have any ideas on what to do about one stripped screw hole on my otherwise functioning purple Budda wah? I can’t just keep the rubber foot on in the bottom right corner. It’s got me all wobbly at gigs. Any ideas, my clever tele brethren?

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
Have you tried the toothpick approach, where you insert a piece of toothpick or two into the hole, and then screw in the screw? Seems to create some good "bite".

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Since it's aluminum, you can cut a sliver of old soda can or some such and shove it in there just like you repair a stripped body screw hole with a toothpick (hat tip to @Bill Sheehan). Stick it in there all permanent-like with just a dot of JB Weld just like you'd wood glue the toothpick in.

Actually I think @W.L.Weller has two good ideas that'd be even better combined into one; fill the hole with JB Weld, but drill the "right" size hole in the middle of it after it dries. Tap the hole, or fasten the foot with one of those "self-tapping" machine screws in the same size and thread.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Another option is just a longer screw if there's more depth than was being used. Drill a little deeper, longer screw, you're good.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
another fix: wax the screw, fill the hole with epoxy and assemble. the wax keeps the epoxy from sticking to the screws. now you have new threads. weak but will do the job & work fine as long as you don't over torque

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
you could also try going to Home depot or some such emporium and find a pair of closely matched self tapping screws to fit. Once in place and all is working a drop of nail polish, crazy glue, or lock tite to prevent the screw from backing out

I will admit I am not familiar with your unit or its mechanics ( no pictures supplied ) so I am only guessing here

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
The little machine-thread screws do "waller out" the threaded holes in the soft al-yoo-mini-um if they work loose on their own.

If that were my wah, I'd use a sheet metal screw of the same length but with a slightly-larger thread diameter. It will bite into the aluminum and hold really well.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The little machine-thread screws do "waller out" the threaded holes in the soft al-yoo-mini-um if they work loose on their own.

If that were my wah, I'd use a sheet metal screw of the same length but with a slightly-larger thread diameter. It will bite into the aluminum and hold really well.

exactly... but dont tighten too much or you will have a stiff action