Stripped finish on Mahogany neck, do I need new grain filler?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Mhat, May 9, 2019.

1. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

I started a mahogany neck that I was going to do a transparent white nitro finish on the neck. I grain filled it with bellens grain filler, primed it and painted it. I then decided I liked it better with the natural mahogany so I removed the finish with Formby's Furniture Refinisher. It easily removed the finish, but would it have also remove the grain filler? Thanks!

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure.....but when I finished my mahogany neck from Warmoth, I simply finished it with MANY (twenty-five or thirty) coats of TruOil. I REALLY like the way it looks and feels.

3. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

Do you have a pic of your neck? I'm thinking about doing this too.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

sunday 100.JPG sunday 095.JPG sunday 099.JPG
    Not very good pics....sorry. Some places LOOK like there's a "texture" to the wood surface, but it truly feels smooth as glass. Hope this helps. When I did it, I would put on three or four coats of TruOil, letting dry completely between coats, then lightly steel-wool before next series of coats. Very time consuming, (especially when you're anxious to get the neck on the guitar) but I like how it turned out.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

That looks fantastic, nojazzhere. I did a maple neck in 15 coats of Tru-Oil myself and it's one of the best feeling necks I've ever played. It was fun and easy to do. Granted, maple doesn't need grain filling, but Tru-Oil is a great finish nonetheless.

20170716_183836.jpg 20170716_184545.jpg 20170716_183227.jpg 20170716_183813.jpg 20170716_183956.jpg 20170716_183217.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

Those both look great. I was concerned that the finish would be kind of dull, but these look great.

7. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Ah...look at the grain with a magnifying glass?

Behlen Grain Filler is thinned with Mineral Sprites or Naphtha.

Says that Formby's Furniture Refinisher Easily dissolves old varnish, lacquer, and shellac

I doubt that what you had before used that stuff is still perfect.

Why not play it safe and refill?

8. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

Yeah, I think I'll just fill it again to be safe.

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Mhat, I use mahogany for almost all of my necks and finish every one of them in nitro. I usually use Zpoxy for pore fill but once in a while some of the paste fillers. If I had any doubt about the quality of my pore fill I would give it another coat (I usually do two coats sanded back level to the surface, then one more highly thinned coat). Here is a guitar that I just finished

IMG_5194.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's very doubtful you would have removed Behlens grain filler. It is so tightly embedded you should just sand, apply a coat of lacquer sanding sealer (I prefer Mohawk) and then your clear coats (you can also use colored toners if you want to change the color a bit) - all thinly applied with 3 VERY light passes per coat except the final flood coat.

Did you do a practice application of everything on scrap? you should - and now, especially because you're changing systems, you should get some scrap mahogany and apply the ENTIRE system (including final buffing) before doing any more work on the guitar.

Learn the products and how they interact & refine your technique on practice material - not on the real thing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.