Stripped '54 Tele. What could have been in this route?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by IPLAYLOUD, Jun 16, 2014.

1. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

My girlfriend got this is for paint and restoration (she LOVES these jobs!).
    '54 that had been refinned at least twice.
    Many of the contours are "off" from repeated sanding. Routers Hump is sanded smooth.

What pickup do you think could have been in this routing?
    Narrow and wide. I'm thinking a Charlie Christian type??

Date is 4-54. Can't make out the initials next to the numbers. Might be "XA""

[​IMG]

Filled routing:

[​IMG]

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Attached Files:

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yikes! Stripped and butchered like that, I guess it's going to be just another Tele. . .

4. IPLAYLOUD

Dawn will tighten-up the lines as best she can and mix an early 50's Blonde Nitro for it.
    Shes great at getting colors right.

5. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Cool... Hope it turns out nicely. :)

6. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

CC pickup is a good guess. That rout would have been approximately the right size and shape for a covered Strat pickup.

7. IPLAYLOUD

Yeah...wider for the side screws of a Strat pickup...I think you got it.

8. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Another telecaster veering into Micawberness. Rout that repair out and humbuck it, Keef.

9. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Hmmn . . .

It coulda been a strat, Gibson S1, Marauder, Carvin or even an ASAT pickup in there previously . . . or not
    Redd

10. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Even the diagonal cavity has been opened on the neck pickup one. And at least it has been done by a pro. Both extra routing and repair are very neat. What a nice piece of old wood.

11. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Strat neck pickup. Probably the most common route pre-Keef.

12. IPLAYLOUD

There was a lot of wood missing, unless whoever filled it in opened it up wider.

Could have been a real hack-job originally.

I'll keep you posted on it's progress.

This is an Esquire Dawn built for me 9 years ago. Her client wants an original look, so she'll mix-up some lacquer like this one. It has a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus in it because at the time, Redd was lovin' them. ;-)

[​IMG]

13. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Standard woodworking steps for filling a hole would be to take a piece of wood larger than the hole to be patched, mark the wood and route a new hole to fit the new patch. Lot easier than trying to fit a patch to a hole in the wood. At least that is how I would do it. I assume whomever patched this did the same.

14. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

If you ever get a chance to listen to for example a 59 Les Paul it is significantly louder and better sounding than the 59 reissue even though it is a reissue of the same guitar. Things of quality get better with age. Wood has a certain resonance to it after a lot of years that you can't readily get out of fresh growth. My 66 Tele is like that. Does it become more brittle and therefore more resonant?
    Anyhow calling it just another Tele is a bit strong. In this country when the settlers arrived there were slow growth huge straight trees. Of course they were the ones the settlers felled first. What grew to replace them were the fast growth not so straight ones. So Fender has the pick of a better grade of wood even just going back to the 50's.
    I guess I am reacting to the pain caused by someone calling your guitar just another Tele. If all the pieces are there it is still a 54 but with the finish taken off and a slight rout under the pickguard. I would hardly consider it an all is lost piece. For a Vintage collector sure the value plummets because they want to get in bed with a 54 in a case that was never opened.
    Actually the most pristine of the old guitars were some of the worst ones because they weren't very good players. The great ones you couldn't stop them from being played constantly. It all depends if you are investing for financial reasons, or looking to get a steal on a really sweet axe.

15. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Whew!

Spot on,
    Jealousy has such a pretty face . . . .

16. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Love a good restoration thread...you go girl!

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know of any pickup that long and narrow other than maybe an 8 string pedal steel pup.
    That wouldn't make much sense, two extra poles, but I've seen a lot stranger stuff done to vintage guitars in search of "the tone".

Otherwise, very nice guitar.
    Look at a bunch of '50s tools and not many will be in that good condition.

18. keithcc

keithcc Tele-Meister

I don't think Fender carefully researched wood for characteristics, I think that they found something readily available that worked well enough and as luck had it came up with some pretty good wood. By 1900 most of the really old growth wood in the US was logged out, I'm guessing most 50s Fender guitars are made of woods from trees that were planted or grew by seed dispersion from between 1870 and 1900 or so. The reason the 70s Fenders and Gibsons were often as dense and heavy as bowling balls is that the companies bought wood strictly by species and by then they were getting a lot of trees from areas with high mineral content. 'Tonequest' had an article on that some years ago. No one knew that ash varied that hugely in density or cared very much.

19. russ

russ Tele-Meister

How 'bout the rout in this 55 Tele? That's not the original P.G. I have the original white guard that had a switch mounted in it.
    [​IMG]

20. russ

russ Tele-Meister

Then there's this one!
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.