Strip a spray can refin off a Jazz body...

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Festofish, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

8926E793-4CF9-47B8-8CCF-DA5005157B37.jpeg EA92F533-9227-45DE-AD3C-2E5FF410F484.jpeg 69EB698E-632F-482F-B6BE-894FAA7BB591.jpeg 665267FE-E7E7-4598-AB3A-C089BE0234E8.jpeg 5B5A9EBD-8797-4A8D-AE8E-2C4B78BC3241.jpeg Hey all I recently picked up a MIM Jazz bass body. The dude said it had been purple but refinished white. So...
    What is the best way to remove the white while leaving the factory paint and gloss coat alone. I just want to see it in purple!

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd try an area with Goof Off and see. It may not attack the original finish if poly.

Festofish likes this.
  3. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Thanks, I’ll give it a go. I just really want to see that purple.

4. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Maybe you can mix some "White Out" type correction fluid with "Easy Off" oven cleaner and end up with "White Off" :lol:

5. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Try Acetone, a little area at a time.

Are you sure it's MIM?

Cause it looks like there are plywood lines in the neck pocket.

Jlwctn and televillian like this.
  6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

That’s what I was told and for what I paid for a loaded body I still got a good deal. I did have that suspicion as well but until I remove some paint I won’t know for sure.

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you use acetone, study up on safety.

avoid skin and eye contact (gloves and goggles)

good ventilation

organic vapor respirator

avoid open flames

it is good stuff, but hazardous

telemnemonics and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I doubt that you can do it.

televillian likes this.
  9. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

you might discover why it was painted white

10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I agree. I worked for a professional guitar refinisher for 6 years. I did all the prep work before painting so I've stripped A LOT of guitars..(a lot of expensive vintage ones as well).

Unless the factory finish coat is polyester, (which is bullet proof.. I've only ever been able to strip it using a heat gun), I think you're not going to have much luck with your project. Even the acetone is going to dissolve polyurethane.

You might try dampening a rag with acetone and wiping as much of the white off as possible and then sanding the rest off. Use 320 paper....220 might be too coarse? And then if you successfully reveal the purple you will have to polish it back to it's original luster. That's going to be a lot of work with no promise of good results.

I'd forget about trying to restore any of the pockets. They're a lot of work just trying to get paint out of let alone what you're attempting.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    c.winn likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever you use I would get some of the larger micromesh pads to remove any residue and get some gloss back before buffing and polishing. If there are no dents it should come up like factory again when done. You could even sand all the white off if you have the patience/ willpower and stamina to do it.

12. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I don’t. :D

We may strip it all together but I wanted a look at that purple first. I’ve got years of painting/coating/stripping experience but not with wood.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I doubt you will be able to remove one layer without wrecking the next. But if you happen to prove me wrong, please document the process thoroughly so we may all learn.

Festofish likes this.
  14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Well, in most cases the original factor finish will be some sort of catalyzed poly-something. That means its pretty bullet proof. I have been unable to soften them with chemical paint stripper - it frequently takes a little heat. That could be good.

The second thing is that most amateurs can't shoot catalyzed poly-something when they did their refinish. Most of the time it will be something from a rattle can - white probably came from an auto parts store. Most amateurs aren't good enough to get a good bond between whatever they are spraying and what ever is on there.

I would start with the least invasive solvent and just go up thru nastiness - DA and naphtha are pretty mild, I start with them. On the off chance the white is lacquer I would try lacquer thinner next. If none of that worked then Zipstrip MIGHT take off the white and leave whatever is under it. You might luck out.

Festofish and beagle like this.
  15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Thanks all I plan on working on it tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I stripped an Epi Lp with Goof Off, it wasn't easy, lots and lots of elbow grease, but the finish came off and the original poly was bullet proof ( except in an area I sanded through). It had been painted at a body shop, don't know what kind of paint it was.

I was tempted to use acetone but I was worried about it melting the plastic binding. I scuff sanded the top then hit it with the Goof Off. Lots of heavy rubbing involved. I was lucky in that whoever painted it didn't scuff sand the original finish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    RiversQC likes this.
  17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I didn’t even think about the factory coat scuffed up by the first dude. Well we’re pretty open to inspiration on this so we’ll see what happens. Haven’t gotten to it yet. West Mi weather/anxiety/weed keep me from getting supplies.

18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

What did you think of the gold? Other than wanting it off. :D

19. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

The gold is fantastic, I was told by the guy who sold it to me ( my then boss) that it was some kind of bass boat blue sparkle. It's actually more a brassy green like in the first pic. Don't care for blue blue so I was pleased.
    The back was another story, I started off aggressively sanding with 80 grit and ground off the mahogany finish , refinished it with Stew Mac Mahogany and botched it pretty badly. Then I used Deft spray lacquer which sucks because it stayed soft forever, lots of imprints. Oh well, it still looks better than it did. This was my first ever refin attempt.
    With yours I would try an area under the pickguard with acetone or lacquer finish, I am far from expert but I doubt it would even touch that poly surface.

Festofish likes this.
  20. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If it was a guitar, you could strip it by hand. As it is, you’ll have to strip it by jazz hands.

I’ll see myself out...

Festofish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.