Strings

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by roy16, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:21 PM.

1. roy16

roy16 TDPRI Member

Just switched from Elixir to D'Addario Flat Wound Chromes.
    I would get 3+ months until Elixirs would no longer hold tune
    What can I expect from D'Addario ?

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

my Gretsch 5129 has flatwound D'Addario Chromes. They have been on there for at least 4 years, maybe 5 or 6. They still tune just fine, and hold their tuning as well as can be expected on any Bigsby-equipped Gretsch arch-top with a floating bridge.

3. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Chromes really last long,. I use. Nickel wound and carbon nickel nyxl, They last long too. Daddario are few Times better tahn elixirs, never liked elixirs. They always were sticky and ****ty

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I don’t know if it’s just because I didn’t know what to expect from flat wounds but I found they only lasted about 2 days and would sound completely dead
    Maybe that’s just how they sound to me but I tried them multiple times and couldn’t bond with them

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You seem to like dull sounding strings. The D'Addarios should last a long time (although I've never tried them).
    Some rave about Elixirs: tried them a few times but they sounded dull from new (I guess that's why claim they have a long life).

I prefer strings with chime: I can use the tone control to make them sound dull.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If one begins to notice intonation in a serious manner, one will quickly realize that strings have a short life for picky ears.I am not talking about holding tune but rather playing in tune. A hard working pro??? Those strings last one gig.that is why they get changed for the next gig. If a guitar is properly set up and has a new set of strings on it, it will intonate accurately that day. Put the guitar in the case...don’t play it. Within ten days, they will NOT intonate accurately. Metal fatigue will have changed how the strings work, and they intonate flat. There is no string made of metal which does not succumb to the effects of metal fatigue. Yes, have shown this to people who have not picked up their guitars in a timely manner.

Telecastoff1 and twangjeff like this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah depends on your ears and taste. D'addario anything that isn't coated sounds good to my ear for about 2 weeks and I'll put up with it and change them after about 4 weeks, and I don't play nearly as many hours in 2 weeks as someone who plays for a living.

My Telecaster has plenty of zing.. Elixir Optiwebs tone the zing back a teeny bit and don't feel too weird, just right for me. And they last a really long time. If I only get to play 4-5 hours a week it's a bonus to get a few extra nights I get to play instead of changing strings.

I think if your guitars tend towards bright Elixirs work great, if they tend towards dark they won't. My Acoustic is a Taylor GC, so it's pretty bright, so again the stock elixir PBs work really well.

8. Wally

Coated stings do not extend the life of a string as far as intonation is concerned. Their tone does not change....because the coating kills tonal content. If there is nothing to lose, there can be no loss.

twangjeff likes this.
  9. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

All of this. This is why I change strings before every gig. My tone is fresh and I play in tune anywhere on the neck.

Aside from that, I actually like changing strings. To me that's like my quiet time/ relaxation time. YMMV.

Telecastoff1, guitartwonk and Wally like this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Elixir Nanos for electircs
    Daddario NB for acoustics

But that is me.

11. Wally

Zen moments....meditative...mental attention to the task at hand.

12. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Personal preference, right?

My main axe (Jackson) has a Floyd so I'm not so keen on string changes.

Plus, I actually like the sound of strings that have worn in over a few weeks.

When it comes to my Teles or Gordon Smiths, I also enjoy stringing up though. Once you have your routine or process sorted for it, actually doing it is a little bit Zen-like. I wonder if I'll ever think that about stringing up the Jackson.... maybe 20 years down the line; that's real Zen Master stuff.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When I was a kid back in the 60's, I used LaBella Flat Wound strings on my USA made Epiphone Riviera. We gigged every weekend and didn't have a bass player, so I would play sort of a rhythm-bass thing in the band on all of those gigs. Those strings along with the combination of that guitar, and my old Fender Showman did the trick back then.
    Moving forward, it's different now days for me. I haven't used flat wounds for nearly 50 years now. We gig regularly with a four piece band and I change my strings (Gibson Brite Wires) every 1-2 gigs to keep playing in tune and maintain the crispness I like.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.