1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strings tried, new Strat 9? 10?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hey_you, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

I play the D'Addario 9.5 set on a G&L Legacy that came factory setup for D'Addario 10s. Coming from the 10s it feels for me a little closer to the feel of EB 10s that my MIM Mustang loves and that is a very easy playing guitar. A set of straight 9s might be closer still but would probably need a more complete setup change than the 9.5s did.

I have a set of the Balanced Tension 10s I've never tried on anything and a set of EB Turbo Slinkies I had bought to try against my usual hybrid 9-46s on my more aggressive Ibanez but the thought has crossed my mind to try those on the Legacy as well. It has never worn anything but D'Addarios.

2. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I strung up the strat with 10's. I don't notice a difference in feel from the 10's on my Gibson scale guitars. Maybe the trem compensates for the longer string length.

I tried a hybrid set (9's on the high, 10's on the low) on my LP Junior, and didn't like the 9's- too floppy. Looks like I'm sticking with 10's all around.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I was using 9's back when I was younger, but kept breaking the high E all the time. I switched to 10's and have been using them ever sense.
    I wouldn't mind having the 9's on the low with the 10's on the high our just using a smaller gauge low E string.

4. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I use 10s on Fender and Gibson scales, except for my Bigsby equipped Gretsches, where I have 11s on the 24.75 Electromatic and 10.5s on the 25.5 Falcon for stability(tho I've decided they are a bit stiff, and may go back to 10s on the Falcon next string change). DiAddario Nickel Wounds all around.
    I like how Strats and Teles feel with 9s, and if I only played those guitars and no acoustics, no bass, etc, Id prob go with em. But as it is it takes me too long to acclimate to the slinkiness of 9s and I tend to bend em out of tune just fretting.

5. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Experimenting with gauges is normal for players. I play 10s on all but one guitar and it gets 9s. Every guitar is different and most importantly, that is ok.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.