Strings on your tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tele-bastard, Apr 22, 2019.

1. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

I haven't posted in the main section of the forum in a while; hope everyone is doing well. I've always used Fender nines on my teles and strats until recently I tried a set of d addario super lights. I don't know why but the strings seem slightly easier to bend. I was thinking maybe I should try Ernie Ball slinkys in the lighter gauge. Is there anything to this? I have been playing for a while and have been recently diagnosed with arthritis, so I do have to stay with a lighter gauge. Could I have gone all this time playing and not noticed it or is there something to this or is it just in my head? I'm just curious on what everybody else uses and what are the benefits you have noticed from using them?

Attached Files:

bcorig and guitarmoron like this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've always just automatically gone with d'Addario 9-42 strings but have recently started changing over to GHS 10-38s.
    Not for bending reasons really, but they are nice for my weakening left hand.

tele-bastard likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have to admit to a more serious disability for a guitarist. I struggle to play in tune. My problem isn’t bending. It’s the opposite. I push notes sharp. Light gauge strings exacerbate the problem. So I use NYXL 10’s on my Telecaster and Strat and 11’s on my SG and Gretsch. I have arthritis in my left hand affecting my index finger more than the others. When it’s bothering me, I give the joint where the finger joins my hand and the next joint out one quick spray if CBD oil and rub it in. It works and I don’t feel any side effects from it like I do from NSAIDs. It’s not a cure by any means. It’s relief. It’s playing pain free (almost). That said, I’d better be working on my fretting technique. Arthritis is progressive. I’m sure I’ll be switching over to 9’s and 10’s sooner or later.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    bcorig and tele-bastard like this.
  4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use Ernie ball hybrids. Still get the tone out of the top 3 )4-6) and easier bends out of the bottom 3 (1-3).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The best strings I've come across, at a reasonabe price, are Pyramids. More expensive than the brands mentioned above, but they last a long time - so you pay extra for quality strings.
    On my acoustic I use Pyramid SQ 11-47. At first look, some think I have put electric strings on my acoustic.
    These strings ring like a bell, last a long time, and are easier on the fingers. The quoted string tension of this set is 8 to 9 Kg per string (17 to 20 lb)
    On my electrics I use Pyramid nickel classics 10-46. These have the round steel core, which I prefer.
    These also ring like a bell, and (due to the round core) are easier to bend.
    I recommend you give these a try. (No I don't work for Pyramid)

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Fender strings are made by D'Addario. The only difference might be that Fender may have different spec's for their strings.

RoCkstAr256 and tele-bastard like this.
  7. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

I also use Pyramid, Nickel Classics and Maximum Performance (10-48) or their Flatwounds 10-465 on my Teles. For the Strats I prefer 11-48.
    The Pyramids are my favorites since >15 years. From time to time I try other brands but always end up going back to Pyramid.

Alamo and tele-bastard like this.
  8. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Thats a very similar looking tele you have there TB.......[what is the vintage?]

After years of Fender xtra lite R&R , I choose American Elixir 9>42 they have an anti corrosive Teflon surfacing over Nickel........seem very mellow without loosing any typical tele twang

Derek

P1160023.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Bowpickins and tele-bastard like this.
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

tele-bastard likes this.
  10. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I use the D'Addarios standard 11–49 set (EXL115) because they're always available.
    I like the blanced tension set, EXL115BT, but they're seldom seen in stores.

tele-bastard likes this.
  11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using D'Addario 10-46 since 1980. Can't stand anything slinkier and they can be strung in the afternoon and played live that night. Done that heaps of times. Only ever had one string break in all those years and I bend 'em.JMHO

tele-bastard and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I use 9's on 25.5" scale guitars such as the tele, and the 10's on 24.75" ones. My brand choice is Ernie Ball.

hemingway and tele-bastard like this.
  13. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Erine was the man with a plan
    But i never liked his strings

GHS standard 10’s

tele-bastard and aerhed like this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've been futzing around with string gauges forever - I like the price and availability of Daddarios and don't like the feel of coated strings (at triple the price, I don't see how it saves anything either).
    Anyhow my most recent "thing" is the Daddario balanced tension 10s set plus a couple of very slightly bigger singles on the low E and A. So the gauges are: 10 13.5 17 25 36 48. Custom gauge set for $6.25 total.
    I don't care about the arguments for or against the balanced tension approach, I just know the B string feels too light in a normal set and just right in this set. But I also like a touch more heft on the low strings to get some nice snap.
    Same set for all my guitars, btw.

tele-bastard likes this.
  15. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

The neck on my Baja is a bit too flat, even with the truss all the way loose. I put a set of 11s on to give it some assist in getting a bit of relief.

After I got the guitar set up for 11s and the height adjusted, I did not feel much difference between the 11s on my Tele and the 10s on my Strat. Go figure.

Yes, bends are a bit stiffer - but I like the "positive feedback" I get. I tend to be a bit ham fisted as well.

I am hoping to get back to 10s some day; 9s feel really light to me. I am sure I would adjust to any of them given a few days or a week.

tele-bastard likes this.
  16. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I use D'Addario XL 10-46.

Benefits would be cheap (I've seen and purchased a box of 10 sets for $36), sold everywhere and consistent. Never had an issue with one and sound good to me :D

17. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Ernie Ball...either 9-46, 10-46, or 10-52, depending on which guitar. Some have huge frets, some tiny...the radius makes a big difference to me

tele-bastard likes this.
  18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

For the past year I've struggled with bending notes; not for the usual reasons, but because there seems to be a nerve issue in my left 3rd finger that causes sharp pain all the way up to my wrist when I put too much pressure on a string. I seriously thought my guitar days were over. I moved down to a really light gauge (.08's), and everything is fine now. This is the set I've been using.

[​IMG]

swany and tele-bastard like this.
  19. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

D'Addario NYXL 10's on every guitar from here on. lol

tele-bastard and Dismalhead like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Right now:

[​IMG]

Benefits: jazzy sound, crushingly strong handshake.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.