Strings..... I mean.... Am I right?

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
So I lived with Chromes for I don't know how many months now. On my Fender Mexi P. I kept getting like sounds I didn't love. More plucking noise. Basically I think it's the string hitting the first fret from diggin in. Obviously working on the right touch. But seemed overly sensitive.

So I had some 110 chromes I tried putting on my CV 70s jazz that has a neck that seems to move a little too frequently for my tastes with heavier strings.

So I put them on my P bass and honestly it was like the proverbial angels singing. At least for now. I played a gig with them and several practices and it's like the best of both worlds.

They are nice and low end from the larger diameter. And they don't move as much. I'm using a higher action than I ever have but it doesn't feel like a problem for some reason. It's like they're loose enough for that to be OK, but stiff enough to be like, boom, with a little touch. But stiff enough to be like boom and not clacky with a heavy touch.

So for now D'Addario 110s FTW on my P.

I put the chromes back on the jazz. I was kinda liking the normal ole 105s on that one. So the flats might not stay. But I only recorded one song quick with these on the Jazz once and now I want to explore it a little longer this time. I honestly think it lacks some zing. But then, flats kinda do that. At the same time when I have rounds on it I'm dialing back the tone a lot.

Of course then there is the rabbit trail of how many different kind of flats I could try on the jazz. LOL. The 110s are a win on the P for me for now though. Not going anywhere.

I realize that flies in the face of everyone else, but that's what's working for me right now.

I'll have to put a pic up to go with this thread. Since everyone loves pics. Maybe later today...

ficelles

Tele-Meister
I've easily spent enough on trying string sets to buy a nice American Standard Jazz bass... and after all that I stick to either La Bella Low Tension Flats or Thomastik Jazz Flats. I like flats :)

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
yeah. theyre no joke expensive and trying several sets is not a rabbit hike i could afford. Yet I still think about trying something else. lol.

Attachments

• 647E74A8-4CAA-4A07-8BEF-5A9C7544B8A0.jpeg
    647E74A8-4CAA-4A07-8BEF-5A9C7544B8A0.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BA3F714B-5D9D-48BA-9262-CC37E93CC743.jpeg
    BA3F714B-5D9D-48BA-9262-CC37E93CC743.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 6

Robert Booker

TDPRI Member
I want to explore it a little longer this time. I honestly think it lacks some zing. But then, flats kinda do that. At the same time when I have rounds on it I'm dialing back the tone a lot.
Try GHS Pressurewounds on the Jazz Bass. Kinda halfway between a round and a flat tonally. Also very tonally dynamic.
Pressurewound wrap feels much smoother than rounds and reduces finger noise. Best I've ever played on a Jazz Bass.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Just thoughts from a (sorta’) noob.
Early in my transition to bass I just knew flats were the best choice. Then I went to coated/tapewound… they are so easy to play.
The more I play live, I find that I like a little fight from the instrument, like some interaction. Now it is becoming evident that roundwound strings seem to offer more pushback?
Just thoughts in words… nothing research based.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I mean I mostly played rounds forever. But last few years trying to mix up sounds and find the ideal set up. I put the flats back on the Jazz. I got the action pretty low. And the 110 rounds on the P the action is pretty high. They feel similar now. LOL. I used to like it low with rounds, but man, I like those 110 rounds on the P. It feels wonderful and the sound is pretty darned good. It's still got a lot of higher frequency overtones, but I'm thinking after they wear in a little it will tone down. It still sounds very good at present. Plus I do have a tone knob.....

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
yeah. theyre no joke expensive and trying several sets is not a rabbit hike i could afford. Yet I still think about trying something else. lol.
Strings are personal, obviously. Chromes are a little stiff for my taste but they’re good for a lot of things. I find they have some harmonics I don’t love. But again, personal.
If you like the way Chromes feel check out Rotosound 77 flats. Or LaBella DTF.

My favorite flats are TI Jazz Flats. I hesitate to recommend because they are expensive but since you are already playing flats it’s not a stretch. They are lower tension which can take getting used to. But they sound magic. Pure, even tone on every position.

HINT on Amazon there is a dealer who labels them as “Accordion Accessory” and they are legit and a huge discount.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I hear those same things as you. I think that's why I took them off the P. There is some sort of unwanted picking noise at the very slightest of digging in. But rounds do that too. And the tension is high. But it feels more doable with a low action. And the jazz sounds decent with the tone rolled off. Whereas if you go too much more than like an 8, it's starts to just sound muddy. On mine at least.

So yeah, believe me, the TI's have been on my radar. That gal, Nicole Row, that is now playing in Panic At The Disco, she plays TI's. But yeah, I'm kind of on the tight budget side of things so it might take me a while before I feel the need to pony up that much dough. it would be nice to try them before, but I barely know anyone that plays flats. And the one guy I do has chromes like mine. Locally.... Obviously there's a bunch of you guys that probably have all kinds of stuff.

I also am intrigued by the ernie ball 95s......