Strings bottom out

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by scheek, Mar 30, 2020.

1. scheek

scheek NEW MEMBER!

Just finished a parts Thinline. Dropped new neck in and added strings and found the strings are bottomed out using existing Squeir bridge as high as it can go.

I have shimmed the hardtail bridge temporarily (1/6-1/8) and that works fine but I need to come up with a better shim or solution. Any suggestions?

Right now the guitar plays good except one area. Stretching 3rd and 4th string a full step up on 10th fret bottoms out and buzzes. All other strings and frets areas are good. Is this a high fret issue.

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Shim the neck at the headstock end of the pocket and lower the bridge to a more reasonable level. Then adjust your G & D saddles to better match the neck radius. If it's a tight radius like 7-1/2 you'll have to balance buzz vs. bendability vs. string height the best you can.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep, just shim the neck, not uncommon at all. I use the clear semi hard plastic off packaging. It seems to come in two thicknesses, ~.005" and .010"
    You want the opposite end of this picture: "I'd probably start with maybe a .010 and a .005 layered like that. or just a .010. It changes things fast.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.