1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strings and tone surpises

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FrostyMorn, Dec 4, 2020.

1. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

I have this Fender American Original 60s telecaster at my house and I'm surprised by what I hear. I auditioned the guitar at the store with the same amp I have at home and it sounded very good to me. At home, I replaced the factory 10 gauge with my usual 11 gauge (made the required adjustments) and the guitar lost its charm. Back on with a set of 10s and the charm came back!

I play fingerstyle, neck pickup with the tone knob dialed down considerably. As I said, I'm surprised by this but I guess it's a lesson in being open to new ideas and letting our ears be the judge of what works for a particular guitar.

AO60.jpg

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Interesting effect. I'm contemplating string gauge changes based on the following video... from 10s to 9s.

FrostyMorn likes this.
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I think factory is actually 0.009"-0.042". Of course, back in the day they were considerably heavier, and do we hate the music from back then?

I certainly get your point, but charm is in the ear of the beholder. If it works for you, go nuts with it.

kuvash likes this.
  4. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Interesting conversation and experiment. Would like to have heard some clean tones.

5. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Fender website says: Fender® USA 250R Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges), PN 0730250406

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm... you're right. The Thinline is 0.009"-0.042". Wonder why the difference. Kinda the same point though, eh?

7. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

I had the exact same experience with my MIM strat. It had 11-52’s on it and tuned it to drop c after a pick up swap. It sounded very dull and bends were more of a hand muscle workout than anything. I put 10-46’s back on, tuned it half step down and haven’t looked back.

8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

On my acoustic I used 12's for yrs.

Bc of a thread here on acoustic gauges people use,
    I tried 11 gauge for the first time in years.

To me they're much more expressive, they give and return more of what I put into it.
    Vibrato's more expressive. Of course bending is easier.

Not quite as full sounding, but no biggie it's worth it in its nuances!

9. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I switched down to 9s probably 30 years back, mainly because I noticed a different tone, which I liked, but also because of the extra control it gave me. Also forced me to be a bit more precise in my fingering which was no bad thing.

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I've used 9's for over 30 years.

I never bought into the "heavier is better" that most players bought into during the SRV years.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  11. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I don't play heavier for tone. It's so I don't break strings a lot. LOL. I switched to .11s a long time ago and don't plan to go to .10's. They just feel right to me. So if I can't make the guitar sound how I want with .11's, than it's not gonna work for me. Personally I think all guitars sound better with .11s but I prefer lower tones and less twang.

12. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I used to put .11-.49’s on every electric guitar I owned. Didn’t think twice about it. Once I started buying guitars from friends, I found myself liking how they sounded when I tried them out before buying them so I stopped changing the string gauge on them. If it sounds good in the condition I bought it in, I’ll leave it that way (minus getting the action adjusted to where I like it). So now I have a guitar with .11-.52 strings on it as well as another one with .10-.46. You adjust over time.

13. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Sometimes heavier gauge strings make a guitar less responsive and dynamic, not more so.

FrostyMorn likes this.
  14. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

My Am Pro Tele sounds better with 9.5s instead of the stock 9s. I tried it with 10s and there wasn't a huge change in tone so I went back to the more comfortable 9.5 and started there.

Each individual guitar probably has a sweet spot, some may be narrow and some wider and more forgiving of string size and tension.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.