Stringed Instruments for a "Utility Guy"

tonyv77

Tele-Meister
Hey Guys,

Never considered myself to be that hot of a player but always got by. Have also been the guy willing to pick up another instrument (how I started bass). What instruments do you guys feel are worth it to buy/learn to make yourself more useful as an average guitar player? Here's a list I've come up with:

12 String Electric and/or acoustic
Baritone Electric
Bass VI
Lap Steel (w/benders for extra points)
Mandolin (Octave or regular)
Banjo (not so much in style these days, banjo craze has seems to be passing)

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Played violin since I was 7-ish and bass as a pro for a long time so in a way guitar was the pickup instrument. But I play baritone when I jam with folks who already have a bass player. I’ve thought a lot about a VI but I dink around with a synth and drum machine / sequencer too. There is a uke and a dulcimer in the room I’d like to be better with. The dulcimer is a neat sound. Ukulele is love/hate.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Utility comes from being not just OK, but really good, even great at what you do. Practice. Take lessons. There’s always more to learn. Learn alternate tunings. Practice some more. Learn to read music. Learn another instrument for your own enjoyment and when you’re good enough bring it to a rehearsal. Tough love. But that’s how to do it.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm a hack guitar player, and I also play
- bass
- mandolin
- ukulele (soprano, tenor, baritone)
- vihuela (sort of a mariachi ukulele)
- tenor banjo
- 5-string banjo

Many years ago I stole Tommy Tedesco's idea and I usually tune these like the top strings on guitar. Makes chords a cinch.