1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String Tree

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by gitapik, Oct 7, 2012.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hi,

I've got a G&L ASAT Classic. I love it.

One problem: the string tree creates a metallic rubbing sound when I bend the B and E strings.

It started doing this soon after I got it. I brought it to the shop where I bought it from and the owner was dismissive, as it's not noticeable at performance volume (it's not a sound from the amp...it's acoustic in origin).

But it bothers me when I'm practicing at low volumes at home. So he put a different string tree on there (a Fender one). Little bit lower profile than the original G&L. This did the trick for a couple of months...but now the scraping sound's there, again.

Any tips...?

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you lubing it ?? Try graphite or chapstick.........goop up the strings where they go under there. You should be lubing the nut as well.

With the Fender tree, the break angle could be too severe. The e and B string angle should be about equal to the other strings. From nut to peg.

You may need to ( or could try) shim it up a bit.

Gotta ask, how long this dealer dude been in business ??

3. gitapik

Don't know why the problem would've gone away then come back. I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks.

He's been in business for quite a while. Small shop. He definitely knows his stuff (especially with amps) and I've bought a beautiful consignment Strat along with this G&L from him. But his attitude has never been what you'd call "user friendly". He's an opinionated guy who does good, solid work and his shop is 5 blocks away from me.

This incident and the last time he worked on my Boogie (he made it quite clear that he hates that amp) have forced me to go to other shops, lately. A trend that will probably continue.

I'm glad you said that, though. The scratchy sound is very annoying to me and that should be enough to make the dealer keep his opinions to himself and give me a hand.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1 on the graphite - sounds like a binding issue

5. gitapik

Man...this is funny.

I'm a pretty good handyman. Not a craftsman...but I can definitely do things around the house. The fact that I didn't even consider lubing the string where it meets the tree is odd, to say the least.

Working perfectly so far. Just tried it out tonight (I've been playing my Strat the past week) and the rubbing sound is completely gone.

The sounds that come out of a guitar are off the planet...but it's still made of wood, metal, and plastic.

Common sense prevails. Hope it keeps up. I'll carry a chapstick with me wherever I bring the guitar from now on.

Thanks, man...much obliged!

(As a side note: my Strat was my go to for decades. I still love it, but have to say this G&L and other Teles I've played are soooo fine. The action and bite and what you can do with it... straight into the amp or through pedals. I love this ax. It's spending more time in my hands and mind than the Strat, nowadays.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.