String-through, top-loaded or ½ & ½?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 18, 2021.

Stringing suggestions?

1. String-through

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Top-loaded

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. bass strung through & trebles top-loaded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. trebles strung-through & bass top-loaded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

So it’s time to change strings on one of my teles. This tele…

upload_2021-5-18_10-48-49.png
    upload_2021-5-18_10-49-1.png

As the title and the poll indicates, this bridge plate can be strung either way, so I’m asking for input from all y’all as to how to string it up this time.

I know, it’s my guitar, my choice, there’s no wrong answer, yada yada…But hey, we’re here for “discussion,” right? So I just thought I’d throw this question out there.

I have strung this guitar as a top-loader before, but it’s been a few years. BTW, the first pic was from when the guitar was new, in 2009. The red backdrop plus the lighting at night gives the guitar a more butterscotch blonde look. The second pic is more recent, taken in daylight and is a more accurate representation of its finish color, which is Honey Blonde. But I chose those two pics because they are the closest I have to showing the dual stringing capability of that bridge plate.

So, what do you suggest? What gets your vote? Traditional string-though, top-loaded or half and half? And if the latter, bass strung through and trebles top-loaded? Or vice versa? Reasons?

2. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I've never been able to discern any difference at all in tone but, maybe, some difference in the feel. With no significant difference, top loading wins for me only because it's a little easier / quicker.

PhredE likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

You're most probably right about negligible difference in tone, if any at all. And I'm quite sure you're right about the difference in feel. As I said, I've gone top-loaded before, and my recollection is that I missed the "snap" of string-through.

4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I have a dual loader bridge that I'm going to try 1/2 & 1/2 on with my next restring. Probably bass strings top loaded and treble strings thru-body. I think it's a fun thing to be able to experiment with if you have a dual loader bridge.

I voted thru-body though.

5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I prefer string through on all my hard tails.

6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why not alternate them? That may give you a better idea of which you prefer.

7. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

Isn't prevailing theory that top load provides a slinkier feel to the strings while through body provides more sustain. If that is the case, I'd sting through the bass strings and top load the bendy ones.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Larry, what's right for one guitar, may not be right for another. And what's right for one player, may not be right for another.

I like to string the plain strings through and top load the wounds - but often I do this to enable the setup I am looking for. Sometimes the E-A saddle is well back and the trajectory of the wounds is just too steep (and it feels bound up). But if you liked a lower saddle position, this wouldn't be necessary IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.