1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String through full thickness tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by timgman, Mar 3, 2021.

1. timgman

timgman TDPRI Member

Understanding that the “standard” line is gone, I’d the cv now the only “full thickness” string through tele available from the squier series?

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think all the current squiers that aren't the affinity or bullets are full thickness and string through (maybe I'm wrong).

3. timgman

timgman TDPRI Member

Yeah, I was about to pull the trigger at sweetwater and the description say's "top loading"... Ugh.

Tele_Luvr and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

To each his own, I guess. There are a number of videos on Youtube that dispel the myth that there is any difference in sound or feel between string-through and top-load. In "blind tests", no one can accurately tell between them.
    BTW.....both of my Teles have Wilkinson bridges....both strung top-load. ;)

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

My Bullet is string-through, and a thicker body would not improve it in any way. If string-through is more important to you than body thickness, you should go to a store and try one.

6. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

Bullets are string thru and thinner. Some of the 2020 Affinitys are string thru and some aren't. The theory is they were using bodies from a discontinued model. If that's a must have then you are probably better off buying in person.

LutherBurger likes this.
  7. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

I just sold a 2020 Affinity Tele string through with full body thickness, I believe the newer ones are all full thickness?

grzz51 likes this.
  8. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 Tele-Meister

I messed with a new Affinity in GC Sunday. Full thickness body but not string through.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Offering a top loader gives an option for a clean Bigsby install. ;)

Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

There were quite a few sightings of Affinities with full thickness and string through. These also had necks that had a truss rod plug in the headstock, instead of just the maple drilled out.

However, looking at Fender's website, as of 2:24pm Eastern Standard Time on March 10, 2021, the Affinity is shown as a toploader without the truss rod hole hollow plug. They do look like old pictures. I have been sort of watching this trend myself for a while.

Also absent from the Fender website are the 50's Classis Vibes or the 60's Classic Vibe Custom (meaning the double bound sunburst version).

I would assume that the Squier Contemporary HH is still full bodied and string through, but I think you were really referring to SS type Telecaster.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/

11. jfgesquire

12. jfgesquire

Butterscotch, full thickness, string through.

https://reverb.com/item/690026-squier-affinity-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde

This one actually looks pretty nice for $230 and free shipping.

But finding what you're looking for is really hit or miss - some with old headstock some with new. Some of the new ones with the new neck are NOT string through:

https://reverb.com/item/36673321-squier-affinity-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde

Some sellers are using stock photos - that doesn't help.

If buying one of these I would want to make sure the seller is sending me the one in the picture.

televillian likes this.
  13. grzz51

grzz51 TDPRI Member

My 2019 (made in September) Affinity is also string thru and full body thickness. Can't say about any others.

14. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

BSB Bullet I got in December is string through, but only 1-1/2" thick. Doesn't bother me though, in fact, it is easier for me to play (I'm still very much a beginner....)

ricardo1912 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.