String Thickness Measurement

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wrighty, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:56 AM.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Just put my usual D’Addario 10’s onto my Affinity Tele. Felt too heavy. Measured the thickness, seemed OK. Measured the thickness of those on my AmPro. 11 on the Affinity, 10 on the AmPro. So, are string thicknesses quoted as in tune and the extra length on the AmPro means they’re longer and therefore thinner?

2. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Uh, string thickness is the thickness of the string, no regard to the length.

So .010 is .010" = .254 mm.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The scale length and tuned vs. not tuned don't matter.

The strings might be a few 10 thousandths smaller diameter when tuned up, but 0.010 and 0.011 are the nominal measurements that matter, tuned or not.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Same scale length on both guitars?

5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

according to Le Institute de Cabler, the standards body for all stringed instruments since 1613, "string diameter is measured on the equinox ensuring gravitic influences are equalized by the distance from the sun. They are confirmed and all measurements are done whilst an egg is balanced on end assuring the equinox is still in effect at time of measurements"

upload_2021-6-11_13-54-35.jpeg

for illustrative purposes, this egg was never in France....

so you probably need to wait until september to measure those strings....

unixfish, Vizcaster and Fendereedo like this.
  6. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Fender i think puts .09s-46 on their guitars(strats at least). Gibson also uses these gauges on some guitars.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

In general terms, you can bump up a gauge on Gibsons.

For example, if you like 10s on a longer-scale guitar like a Strat or Tele, you'll probably like 11s on a shorter scale, e.g., Gibson or PRS.

The reason is the shorter scale requires less tension on the strings to achieve the same pitch as that on a longer scale.

archetype and StevesBoogie like this.
  8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

that only applies in earth gravity, if you're on the spacestation, its all the same..

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Don’t think so, I always thought the Affinity would be shorter, which would possibly explain the string measuring thicker?

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Oh no it isn’t! Gravity has no effect on string tension but…………if you okay guitar in space, no one can hear you………………………

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

But, if a string is stretched longer, it has got to get thinner. So, 10s on a Gibson will be less stretched and feel thicker than on a longer scale Fender?

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Guess the thickness here.

LVery thick indeed to very thick is my guess….

that G string looks thicker than my e strings.

DFB6491F-071E-42C5-81B9-EB64B4267C5B.jpeg

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

While it's true strings are wire or wire core and they do stretch, it's a miniscule amount and would be difficult to measure outside a lab. However, it's also true that not every manufacturer gauges finished goods with the same accuracy. The amount a string diameter would decrease under the light tension of a guitar tuner would be less than most consumer micrometers would measure. Yeah, non-destructive stress analysis degree pays off on TDPRI. I'd also bet a mortgage the employee sitting on a stool sweating at the factory might occasionally grab the wrong string or label it improperly. Manufacturing/labor/process more likely the culprit.

LutherBurger and oldunc like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The bottom line is it's hard to measure string thickness with a caliper. A real micrometer might be easier. When I measure with quality aerospace certified calipers it can be 010 to 011 until you get everything just right.

guitar_paul1 and Boreas like this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

No, because you're not stretching the string on a Fender enough to cause "necking" in the wire; you're simply using more of the wire to accommodate the distance from the nut to the bridge.

Conversely, if you down-tune to Eb or drop D, the strings don't increase in diameter.

JL_LI likes this.
  16. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

You'd have to put some serious tension on a string to get it to change diameter. I suspect it would snap from stress before it stretched enough to matter. But either way it would be well past the tension of tuning.

10 is 10. 11 is 11. If you measured 11 on the Affinity and the box said 10, they packaged the wrong strings in that box.

guitar_paul1 and archetype like this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I can't thank you enough, you blew what is left of my mind.

unixfish likes this.
  18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Measure the low E as well. if the pack was mislabeled there's going to be a much bigger difference there. And of course check your micrometer or dial/digital caliper before calling out a well regarded manufacturer on mislabeling their strings.

And for those who suggested the gauge would change with a minor tension difference in scale length, are you serious? Please measure it yourself and prove yourself wrong before cluttering the discussion.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  19. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

With archtops I always go with mediums (.013 high E) and they feel like lights.

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

As soon as you start to wind the tuner you’re stretching the wire between two points. Between the bridge and the nut, as you wind string onto the post, you’re decreasing the mass of material that there is to span the same distance. Therefore, as the length remains fixed tge thickness decreases. Mark a piece of elastic,say, 12” from the end. Stretch it to 15” and again mark 12” from the fixed end. It will be thinner between the fixed end and the new 12” mark than it was between the fixed end and the original mark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.