1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String tension

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ponce, Oct 21, 2020.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Do some electric guitar string brands differ in tension while being the same gauge? I usually buy Super Slinkys 10 - 46 and today I put a set of Dunlop Billy Gibbons 10 - 46's. I don't know if that's due to them being new and smooth but I seem to need to apply more power to bend them and to avoid slipping. Maybe I just had kept the previous dull and rusty ones for too long, which probably provide more grip.
    I know in the classical guitar world it's common to have at least 3 different tension grades but couldn't find anything online about electrics.
    I kind of like the feel at the moment, Dunlop ones are just opposite of flabby, just have to adjust my left hand a bit. Again, I just might be surprised of a fresh set of strings feel after a longer period.:rolleyes:

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Some of them use stiffer materials such as different or varying amounts of things like nickel that are alloyed into the steel, some have larger cores which is what really bears the entirety of the string tension, some of them have cores that are a different design and have a hexagonal cross-section instead of a round one, and older strings that are already stretched will feel different. These can all have effects.

3. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

They do have different tensions. OR! They just feel different. I love my Dr Tite Fits, they 'feel' like they have less tension. But they are probably the same as the equivalent set from other brands. They are just different.

MatsEriksson and ponce like this.
  4. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

They do have different tensions between brands. It shouldn’t be a lot but can be noticed. I just changed a set and the new ones feel WAY stiffer than the last set I had on.

ponce likes this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I always felt strings were the starting point of so called guitar 'tone' quality. But even cables are more discussed.

guitfiddles and Gevalt like this.
  6. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

A D'addario standard set of .010s feels dramatically different (to me) than an identically guaged set of standard EB slinkys...I prefer the D'addarios. I also really like EB Cobalt slinkys...they feel as though they're a bit stiffer than the standard sets as well.

ponce likes this.
  7. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

So, there is something about it. Probably gonna have to tighten the truss rod a bit in a couple of days, in that case.

8. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Yeah...my favorite tele has a big stiff neck, and I use D'addario .010-.049 set w/ a wound 3rd. I don't really do much string bending, so the wound 3rd helps to keep the tuning more stable during play.

ponce likes this.
  9. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I used to buy strings based on what was available and how I liked the packaging design:D Just had to be the right gauge. I thought I didn't like Fenders, liked Gibsons, got bored by D'Addario all in one bag system. Elixir's were so aggressive on my frets that got dented super fast when using them. And then I got in a Super Slinky rut for a couple of years for no particular reason.

MatsEriksson and TwangBrain like this.
  10. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Ha! I still get EB Cobalt for a couple of my whammy-equipped guitars...I stick to affordable and available too...except a couple of archtop boxes, which I perfume with thomastic-enfield flats only...ah, the pretense, lol.

ponce likes this.
  11. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I've been practicing some keyboard lately and my guitar gathered dust for a couple of days. Today I went to put new strings on my guitar for our bands first rehearsal since March. In addition to the pandemic, our singer broke a leg badly on a bike and was out of the game for months. I thought how rudimentary instrument guitar was compared to the keys. After taking the old strings off, cleaning the fretboard, I put the new ones, tuned and bang! Overtones galore.

TwangBrain likes this.
  12. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

I feel that way about my suitcase celeste.

ponce likes this.
  13. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Gotta look those up

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar scale length changes tension even using the same brand and gauge of strings.
    9s on a Tele feel like 10s on a LP.

ponce likes this.
  15. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

That's one thing too I never thought about. Thanks

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

MOM spelled backwards is still MOM.

But if you turn MOM upside down, it's WOW.

;)

2manyteles likes this.
  17. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

rotosound tens feel a lot lighter than any other brand so yeah

ponce likes this.
  18. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    ponce likes this.
  19. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Music wire (ASTM A228) that all brands are believed to use for their plain strings has standardized mechanical properties ...
    http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?matguid=4bcaab41d4eb43b3824d9de31c2c6849

String tension is entirely due to scale length, tuned frequency, and string mass per unit length (known since the 1700s). The last factor is length-wise density, and analogous to gauge. So same gauge/tuning/scale length will have the same tension. Proving otherwise would be (1) easy technically and (2) a considerable commercial advantage for a string vendor. So the fact that no manufacturer claims their same-gauge strings to have lower tension (let alone provides any evidence for that) should tell you something.
    http://www.noyceguitars.com/Technotes/Articles/T3.html

Playing feel, particularly when bending, also brings in string stiffness (force required per unit length change; inverse of compliance), which is additionally influenced by such things as the guitar's geometry/setup.
    https://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

Any coatings on the strings can also affect the feel, although few plain strings have any special coatings. And the 'different metal' sets usually only differ for the wound strings. You will see for example that different metal types of D'Addarios mostly use the same 'PL' prefix plain strings.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  20. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Roundcore strings (i.e. GHS,Pyramid,some DR sets,Curt Magnan etc.) will always be looser feeling than Hexcore ones (i.e. D Addario,EB).

We are talking about the WOUND strings of course all plain strings are virtually the same.

MatsEriksson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.