String spacing at bridge (Am Pro)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bedder18, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

Edit. Never mind

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas TDPRI Member

the great and knowledgeable boris bubbanov might chime in here if we are lucky. but from historical posts that he has penned on this very topic, my understanding is that this will not work.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I understand what you're saying, Bedder; and what you want to do.

I wouldn't try it. Because the through holes are not only more bunched together length wise, but they're also hiked up a ways closer to the neck pocket on the American Pro and other guitars using this template.

When I mounted those Vintage/AV52 style bridges on American (series, standard, deluxe; same template) the string must make too abrupt a transition over the saddle break point. The guitar ends up feeling tight or bound up. The whole point of the No-Caster/AV52 style "St. Leo" plate is, being able to raise the saddles so you can get after the string and pop it. But if you carry over the American Standard style holes, the string almost has to wrap around the barrel. So you have to keep to a modern or "slammed" setup that's for strumming and shredding - what's even the point? Also, don't forget the advantage of strings high over the bridge plate means the pickup (and its field) can emerge more above the plane of the bridge plate - the American Pro through hole placements block this (unless you convert to Top Loader of course).

I think the reason the American Pro (tele) is not catching on here at TDPRI, is the merging of the two templates is basically a mess. The American Pro Strat is, in comparison, doing much better I believe. FMIC sadly prioritized IMO getting the Strat right and in so doing they compromised the T style model here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.