String spacing/angle question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Fender-guy, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I recently put together a thinline and wanted to do my own take on a 59 tele but in sort of thinline custom way. Since there’s no such thing as a 59 thinline but hey I had the body and parts so that’s just how it evolved.

Anyway have it roughly set up. Still have to cut the nut slots deeper and wire it up. My question is for the nut spacing.

It seems my pre slotted tusq nut is off maybe. At the break angle the strings seem to go to the left instead of straight down to the tuners like my other 2 teles. Also it seems my low E is really far into the fretboard. I have another pre slotted nut and it’s pretty much identical.

MJT thinline body, Allparts neck, fender pure vintage bridge and tuners. Tusq nut. It’s actually impossible to see but they do take a left turn out of the nut towards the tuners 18FDEFAB-155C-4F22-9E29-2C6279F10BA3.png 90030B5E-1403-4E59-9504-E4BA5FD823EE.jpeg A6CEC235-2AC5-4C4A-9CF1-297D0F05E9B3.jpeg E41C43EF-89CE-419B-8E27-F53D573A654F.jpeg Here’s how far the nut has to be over to have the strings perfectly straight down to the tuners but the look how close the low E is to the fretboard edge up top. Down the fretboard it’s perfect low and high E. 8A4B2D42-A9DF-4014-A7D0-6CAFCC021C8F.png

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Loosen the neck screws, push down on the neck and tighten it back up. A simple fix,

Boreas, telepraise and Laren like this.
  3. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

I don't think the string shimmy to the left is a problem, but it looks like your neck may be ever so slightly out of line with the bridge for the high E to be so close to the edge at the bottom. @RickyRicardo's advice should help; loosen and adjust. Also, it's OK for the Low E to be a little closer to the edge and the high E to be set back a tad, especially if your frets are rolled a little more than you'd like.

Boreas likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

It’s hard to tell on picture, but if your D and G strings are centered on the neck, adjusting the latter at the heel won’t solve your problem.
    It looks to me like this is due to the location of the tuner holes relative to the fretboard. I often see that on Fenders where the low E makes a right turn after the nut to reach the tuner.
    Nothing to be worried about IMO: If you’re not satisfied with the string spacing, I would start fresh from a blank nut, and do nothing more than that.

Boreas likes this.
  5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Can see the alignment issue in picture 3 you want them fret markers flush center between the 3rd & 4th string then go from there
    if there is no wiggle room in the neck pocket to fix that alignment then you are going to have to cut a new nut

Boreas likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Loosen the neck bolts and shove the headstock to the left a bit.

Spacing at the nut looks good. The string path behind the nut doesn’t matter one iota, but the string path down the neck does. You want the strings centered on the neck at the 20th fret, and shoving the headstock to the left a bit will do that.

tomasz and Laren like this.
  7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I think you mean push the headstock to the right. His strings are too close to the bass side, so pushing his headstock to the bass side will only exacerbate the problem.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nope. His strings are too close to the treble side down around the neck pocket.

RogerC likes this.
  9. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Rookie move here guys!! Yes loosened the neck and pulled it hard towards the upper strap button. Bang on now. Duh!! It’s just I had to shave down the neck pocket for the neck to slide in. There actually was no wiggle room. Well I guess there was just enough to shift it over.

Yes I also think the tuner holes on the Allparts neck may be cut slightly to the left causing the shift in direction out of the nut. I’m not real concerned about that. There’s nothing I can do there.

Boreas and ctmullins like this.
  10. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

This is the kind of stuff I don't even worry about unless it manifests playing/performance issues. My first partscaster has the same issue with the high E close the edge of the board on the upper frets. It corrects itself by the time it reaches the nut, and I've never had it slip off the edge. Could I correct it by loosening the neck and pushing/pulling on it? Yeah, probably. But that could also cause issues elsewhere that don't exist currently. I'm happy to leave well enough alone.

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nut looks fine. Adjust the neck angle for the high E to have edge margin.

12. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Any pix of the nut now that the neck is straight? I didn't think the nut looked too bad, but Tusq nuts are molded to hit the AVERAGE neck width. If your fretboard is wider or narrower than normal (not uncommon), and you are particular as to string spacing (many people don't care), I would cut a custom nut using an accurate string-spacing guide for your preference.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Possibly. I think that it is unreasonable to assume that any two necks are exactly alike.

14. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I don’t have any pics after the neck adjustment. It was late and I kinda just clued in, why not put the neck!

The neck is 1.65 and so is the nut. I will probably just do what I always do and cut my own nut from a blank bone nut. I just didn’t have any left. I’ve used many Tusq nuts before with success but always reshape them.

No I get it. It plays well but why not fix it and never worry about it again. It was a easy fix and to really do a bang up job I could sand some of the bass side pocket material to get it perfect. That’s what to me at least sets a great to phenomenal playing guitar apart from one another.

ctmullins likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

1 - Center the neck on the guitar. I put straight edges on the sides and extend those to the bridge before I ever put strings on it.

2 - (1) should more or less center the strings on the high end of the fretboard

3 - Mark the offset you want at the nut end of the fretboard on both sides of the nut. Different players like different spacings, it might vary from 0.100 to 0.125. It should be more or less the same all the way down the neck. Make starter cuts with a razor saw

4 - Mark the spacing of the other four strings. They can be on equal centers or equal gap between them, I prefer the former. The StewMac ruler makes it easy. Make starter cuts with a razor saw

5 - Whether the strings come out of the nut at an angle or not as they got towards the tuners doesn't matter. Three on a side tuners frequently have a lot of angle. I like to curve the exit of the slot so it goes towards the turner shaft, that helps to avoid pinching

6 - Make the nut, polish it, glue it into the slot with two very tiny drops of CA

If you are making the body then (1) should take care of itself. I make the neck pocket first and position the neck, use the sides to establish the center line which then locates the bridge. Make sure it is centered relative to the neck.

Fender-guy and Boreas like this.
  16. Boreas

Also, that pickguard looks tight to the neck. May want to give the neck a little more wiggle room for adjustments by filing away some of the plastic. It could be why the neck was off-center to begin with.

Fender-guy likes this.
  17. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Now that’s some detail advice! Thank you! Like I said I usually just cut my own nut from my stock pile of fender bone nut blanks. I do it pretty much like you mentioned. However this neck came with the nut already installed. I figured hey just bolt it on and see how well it is. Now that the neck is straight in the neck pocket, it’s actually bang on. The crooked angle towards the tuners doesn’t bother me. Heck go look at a Gibson!

ctmullins likes this.
  18. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Yes that pickguard doesn’t fit really that great. I’m waiting on a USA made tortoise pickguard without the neck pickup screw holes. This one I had and is a cheapie. Some of the screws I couldn’t even put in because they don’t line up.

Boreas likes this.
  19. Boreas

Hopefully the new one fits better. I don't believe I have ever bought an aftermarket pickguard that didn't need to be trimmed somewhere.

20. Boreas

I think the nut will be fine I will often tweak a Tusq nut to one side or the other based on my preference, but overall, I like them because I have a whammy on just about every electric I own. You may even want to hold off on the glue and final shaping/polishing until you decide where you want it or IF you want to keep it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.