String spacing - 60s Vintera vs 60s Vintera Modified

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by VerySlowHand, Mar 17, 2020.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I'm looking at buying a Vintera Strat - either the 60s or 60s Modified. I've heard that with vintage string spacing, the high E can slip off the board (and I'm clumsy), so does anyone know for sure:

- Is the string spacing at the bridge wider on the 60s, which is a six-position/vintage bridge?
    - Are the two necks the same width at the uppermost part?
    - If the string spacing is the same, would the flatter radius help prevent the possibility of the high E slipping off the fretboard?

Photos suggest that on the vintage spec, the high E is very close to the edge of the fretboard, compared to the 9.5" boards.

I guess I'll be told that good technique will make the question irrelevant; if so, please go ahead and put me right!

Thanks.

2. pi

pi TDPRI Member

I don't know about these specific models of guitar, but it is true that the wider spacing of the vintage bridge spec tends to put the E string closer to the edge. And even the same model of guitar can have variances due to the final fit, so some may end up closer than others (some of which is mitigated by reseating the neck).

Also, some people notice it more than others, so what you're used to (and technique) do come into play.

As with any guitar, the best way to know is to try before you buy.

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Tele-Meister

Hope this helps. The only thing I'm unsure about and would like to know as well, is if indeed the two-point trem on the modified version has narrower spacing than the vintage trem on the non-modified Vintera. Maybe someone else knows the answer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.