String related shenanigans

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by eddnix, Aug 17, 2019.

1. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

I'm not sure where to post this, but.

I recently came across a poll on this site asking which strings people used. I tend to use D'Addario and Ernie Balls 10's. I also usually have a few packs of Rotosounds kicking around for the extra string. Yesterday I was setting up my new parts-caster after a fret dress etc. and popped on a set of D'Addario that I had recently taken off of my Les Paul and a brand new B and E from a freshly opened Rotosound set. I realise that the B and E are the most likely to break, they did. I've noticed this with other Roto's in the past. I'm not putting them down as they're great if you are popping them on a fully set up guitar but in my experience they really don't like bridge saddle movement and the like. Has anyone else found this?

Incidentally, I have the news on in the background while I'm typing this and have just found out Peter Fonda has checked out :(. Guess I'll be watching Easy Rider today.

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have used orotund strings, and I think i know what you mean. They start the windings gradually, and on many guitars, the wound strings go over the bridge as cores, and you have to really adjust the bridge far out of normal wack to accommodate this. They do sound sharp and twangy though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.