1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String Recommendations for new Nylon

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jethro, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I'm new to the Nylon world and just curious which strings I should go with???

The Guitar is a Cordoba and the Model is the Fusion 12 Cutaway with Maple back and sides. It's more of a Hybrid type where the neck width and radius is closer to that of a steel string style

I will be using this primarily with a pick for solo's and such, and also a bit of flamenco flavoured fingerstyle

I see there are quite a few possibilities in strings and wasn't sure what might be best suited???

Any tips are greatly appreciated Cordoba Back.jpg Cordoba Front.jpg

2. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Tele-Meister

I just play variations of the EJ strings. Since I prefer a higher tension, I use the standard EJ46 and its variations (composite, carbon, etc.)
    Tried one set of Savarez, and couldn't get them to settle easy enough for my comfort.

Surely there is someone here with better string knowledge than myself. Also, check out the classical guitar forums if you want to get into the deep end. Josh

Jethro likes this.
  3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Pretty guitar!
    I use LaBella's #427 set. If I recall correctly, it's a normal tension set.
    They seem to widely available, of good quality and priced sensibly.
    Just my opinion...

4. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

After using Savarez for years (first there was Gato Negro when I started playing in Spain as a kid: nylon wound trebles!) I went through many esoteric and expensive strings before settling on the consistency, price, and easy availability of D'Addario Pro
    Arte. (The ones with the off-white composite G string.)
    I use them on all my nylons.
    (Nice looking guitar, by the way: congratulations!)

Jethro likes this.
  5. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

That's great advice....thank you!!!

Curious, are you referring to the Flamenco set? The EJ25C?

6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I like ball end hard tension strings. In nylon hard tension just means you can bend them.

They are still soft as silly putty compared to steel strings. Ball ends put less stress on your bridge which will wallow out from string tension over the years. They sell beads of various materials to convert plain ends to ball ends. I just usually buy the ball ends, but I've got a box of beads if I need to convert any or if the balls jetison themselves as they somtimes do. Can also cut the old metal rings off electric guitar strings when you change them out and save them for when you want to test your eye sight by threading nylon strings thru the rings and tying them off.

upload_2017-11-27_12-27-23.jpeg

and

upload_2017-11-27_12-28-17.jpeg

Jethro likes this.
  7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I was actually looking at those Ernie Ball's....I'm a big fan of their electric sets. I was also thinking the ball end would be a good option for simplicity's sake

Much appreciated

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

i had the highe "E" pop off the ball end on one set of the Ernies. Just tyed on a bead - the lovely thing about classical tuners is you roll the whole bloody string on there, so there's plenty to spare when the end breaks...

funny thing is some of their steel 9's strings do the same thing, I took to super gluing the wire twist on the end, but it only prolonged the inevitable, eventually just switched brands - nothing like the sound of high E detuning in mid song as the string begins to give way.

the nylon sets are fine though.

Jethro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.