String Question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by chrom-freak, May 8, 2012.

1. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

I always found that my Washburn dread sounded amazing for the price, but a little dead and mellow on the low strings. I also do prefer light strings but thought 11s are plenty light for an acoustic. I already thought about upgrading because I just love bright, open sounding, smashing acoustics.

But I went down to 10s on it yesterday, and now am in love again. All the tone i ever wished for. Nice bright sparkly lows and soft highs. She just feels alive now. Anybody else experienced this phenomeon?
    She's not going anywhere now!

2. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

No opinions?

3. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

I personally don't understand extra light or lights on a dreadnought, but that's my opinion and I prefer the feel and volume of mediums on dreads. But if you like what you got this way, go for it.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I can't see how a dread could even play (buzzing, neck tension, plus any kind of real tone or volume being generated) with 10's ??

But I guess it comes down to that guitar (guitar X) and its setup...I have a Martin dread that seems to work (play) best with mediums and a Washburn dread that works best with lights. Can't imagine going 'lighter' that lights.

5. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

That's what i thought to. But it even increased the volume! Don't have a clue why.. I do get a little buzzing when really digging in, but nothing that can't be fixed by a tweak of the trussrod. Of course it doesn't sound as 'massive' as with mediums or lights, but i like the transparent tone with booming bass and soft highs. BTW I put on d'addario EXP coated extra-lights.

Strange things, guitars.

6. mcgannahan

mcgannahan Tele-Meister

Maybe the lighter strings are exerting less pressure on the top, allowing the wood fibers to "breath" more. But probably not.

7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I use Martin 10's on my Yamaha dreadnought, sounds well balanced and the action is great all the way up the neck. Don't use it live so certainly don't need the volume I might get from heavier strings. Jazz, blues, country, folk, rock tones all available, what I do with my right hand makes a bigger difference to tones attainable than string gauge.

8. pepe muerte

pepe muerte TDPRI Member

9. rjes

rjes Tele-Meister

I agree 100 % with... pepe muerte

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

guitars are designed and built to withstand a certain string tension ... too much is bad and may actually pull the guitar apart ... too little might sacrifice volume and tone, but shouldn't hurt the guitar ...

11. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

+1

12. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Phosphur Bronze Strings

I have been playing my Alvarez RD20S that I have had for 5 years with Elixir Polywebs, (10-47), I have nerve damage in my neck and it is the only way I can play guitar without being in alot of pain. I have always used the 80/20s,
    Yesterday, I thought I would try the
    Elixir Phosphur Bronze Strings, I used to use phosphur bronze years ago. I got the Same gauge, They do have a nicer tone, but the feel of the strings is harder for me to play, They are also Nanowebs, which have a real light coating, Polywebs only come in 80/20.

I went over to play with a friend who plays fiddle, He got a new fiddle for 50 bucks at his friends guitar store, It sounds really good. I plugged my guitar into a small amp , He was real loud and we played for a couple of hours. I really like the tone. Anyone else use Phosphur Bronze Strings?:?:

13. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

I don't know if the D'Addario EXP coated strings are phosphor bronze but i think so.
    I also use phosphor bronze strings on my 12-string. Love that deep projecting tone.

14. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, EXPs are PBs, cheaper too, Have played them and I like their feel. I am going to hang with these Elixir PBs for awhile, they sound great, I was fearing the day after pain, but I am not that bad today.

15. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

I have had Elixir Nanowebs on my 12-string, and really enjoyed the tone. But their price is a little steep for me.

Glad it's working for you without pain!

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have done 4 gigs over the weekend, (2) electric on Friday (country and rock) and 2 acoustic "marathons" Saturday, and my hands (and right shoulder/back) are absolutely killing me today!(as expected). My left-hand fingertips feel like I put them on an iron; the rest of my hands/arms are enjoying a magical mix or carpal fun/numbness and knuckles that want to burst;)

I use Elixir PB Mediums on a Martin as I feel they sound and play great, and last, but even amplified, I think I played too aggressively (in an effort to create energy and be heard over very "chatty" rooms. lots of people partying...) strumming, phrasing. fretting etc. Paying for it today- BUT I love the guitar!;):twisted::D

17. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

I think I will do the gig with the Elixir PBs ,then I will go back to Elixir Polywebs, they are just so much better on my fingers, plus, they last forever, I can go for 6 months on a set. I don't even want to look at the guitar after the other night.
    J

18. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

I tried many acoustic strings (Gibson,D'addario, Martin) and I found that Elixirs are the best strings for an acoustic. If I'd go with lights, I'd definetly give them a try first.
    They may be expensive but they last much longer than other strings and I belive you can still find the 3 for 2 deal online.

19. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well..6 months for a set of strings on a guitar you play regularly is , in my opinion, way too long...even if they are those hi priced sets...

Dirty hands, dirty fingers, finger OIL and such is relevant...

YES, we may sacrifice volume .....my take..who cares....

here's my story and take on the matter...

I have 11's on 2 acoustics( new Breedlove and vintage Guild) and 10's on my Taylor 312...totally different guitars and totally different tonality's.

Strings serve two purposes, they need to sound good and FRESH and they need to allow the player to play comfortably , the latter being the most important....

If a player is struggling with the fretboard they are not going to perform....if the strings sound dead or are not brilliant, the player will stay away from those spots on the fretboard.

So... 1) use string gauges that allow YOU to perform, who really cares what the manufacturer says or anyone else for that matter...if your fingers are raw and be bleeding you have the wrong strings on your axe..OR maybe the wrong axe !

2) Change your strings often..like every couple of weeks if you are playing regularly....your tone and fretboard consistency will be the same week after week, month after month, year after year...every player knows when the strings are starting to fade...my take ? sure..I love the high priced strings but I use the $5/ set bronze, buy them in bulk, 12 sets at a time....sometimes I find them for 3 or 4 bucks on Amazon. I stay with the same brand...Lately that has been Ernie Ball Earthwoods...sometimes I do buy Martin strings for maybe a buck less per set...seeing they are only on the guitar a couple of weeks they perform fine but they are not long life strings....

And yeh..on the go to Telecaster I change the strings every week if I am gigging...same reason..total consistency with tone and volume...Fender 150's or 250's..bought in bulk...

20. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Elixir Strings,
    No, they are not really expensive at all, A set easily lasts me 6 months, so I pay 13 bucks for 6 months or more of excellent tone. Or I pay 5 bucks a set, and change them every week.:?::!:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.