1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String & Pick choices

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cuffb, Sep 16, 2007.

1. cuffb

cuffb TDPRI Member

Hey there everyone,just curious about the string & pick combo you prefer!!
    Mine are Ernie Ball 10-46 and a Dunlop jazziii the little thick and pointed suckers!! Although i use a little trick to hold those picks a lot better!!!
    Anyway I just thought it'd be interesting to see the various ways to get your most comfortable picking and playing going on!! By the way different
    choices alter your tone quite a bit if you never considered it would !!!
    Lets hear it !!!!

2. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

D'Addario 11s and bare fingers. On the very rare occasions I use a pick it's a Fender medium and I use one of the two rounder sides instead of the point.

3. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

I use D'Addario 11s too and have for a long time. For picks i use Dunlops 0.88's (the grey one's), and i also tend to use the rounder side instead of the point...strangely enough!!

4. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

Ernie Ball Slinky 10s, Dunlop Tortex .50 picks....nice and thin, but they NEVER break....they just get kinda rounded off, or stashed somewhere by my two year old daugther....

5. Filthy McNasty

Filthy McNasty Tele-Holic

Ernie Ball Slinky Top/Heavy Bottom for strings and Fender 347's medium for picks.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  6. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

D'Addario EXL115s (11-49) and Jim Dunlop Tortex SHARP .88mm.

7. joey52

joey52 Tele-Meister

Jim Dunlop Nylon 1.0 picks. Pyramid Maximum Performance and Snake Oil Formula strings.

8. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

D'Addario 9's and at least a 1.0 plectrum (so long as it's not floppy I'm ok). I found the D'Addario lasted a bit longer, I seemed to break the ernie balls quite a bit (I used heavy bottom skinny top sets) I use 9's because they're easier to play. Heavy plectrum for accuracy and light strings for speed (both of which I'm not brill at) :)

9. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Dadarrio 11's and Dunlop Tortex .88's, the green ones.
    Works for me. Lots of bends, pluckin and pickin.

10. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

Ernie Ball 10-46 and Fender JZ X-tra Heavy picks or Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
    CHEERS!!!

11. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Hey Ian! I thought I could smell salt water here somewhere.
    Its good to know there are a few of us here.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

DR round core .10s and considering going to .11s.

Jazz III picks, and I just ordered the Jazz XL (same bigger) with an order of strings.

FWIW: The thicker Jazz picks and the profile allow me to chicken pick with a more balanced sound than the thinner picks I use with my dreadnought.

13. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

EB Slinky .010's with the thin Cool gripper picks.

:cool:

14. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

D'Addario 10's and Dunlop Tortex .88's.

15. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

d'addairo chromes (flatwounds) .11 gauge

tortex jazz, green, although, more and more, just fingers.

16. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

I'm still using GHS nickel rockers 11-50, for picks I use a 1958 quarter or lately a pick I made out of G-10 (a fiber glass/epoxy composite). Its on the thick side about .040 and works nice for me...

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just bought a 25 set pack of the D'Addario 11-49s from Musician's Friend for something like $ 53 or $56, what is that $ 2.25 a pack or something?
    They're blems, meaning what, they were mis-sorted and could be fresher?

I use the dunlop medium green and medium blue; with all the different stuff I have to use my hands for, house painting, car work, construction, kayaking, my fingers, nails and hands are not consistent enough that I can use my fingers at this point for picking.

Bubbanov

18. OldMan

OldMan Tele-Meister

Up until recently, I've used DR Red Devils .011-.049 but I just tried a set of Dean Markley NickelSteel Electrics .011-.052 with a plain .018 third string and I really like them a lot. There's also a wound .020 third in the package but I prefer a plain third. For picks I use either Dunlop Jells lights or Fender California Clears thins. Pointy side for chicken pickin' and round side for everything else. I used to use extra heavy picks but AI found my speed and clarity increased dramatically with the thins. Go figure.

19. do not be afraid

do not be afraid Tele-Meister

i use Gibson L-5 strings, 12-56. i come to the electric guitar from an acoustic background, so i really need heavy gauge strings to play comfortably, and i like the "vintage" tone of pure-nickel wound strings, but it seems i'm in the minority as most sets of heavy-gauge pure-nickel wound strings are made by smaller "boutique" companies whose strings are hard to find, and expensive when you do find them! these Gibsons are expensive, but they're relatively easy to get a hold of compared to some, and they sound wonderful. i think i might make a custom-gauge set of Ernie Ball pure-nickel singles, but i haven't decided yet.

i use the meat of my fingers and thumb mostly, though i'll use the rounded corner of a Fender heavy-gauge pick when i want/need that sound. i'm thinking about investing in some finger picks, but, again, i haven't decided yet. oh well.

20. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Dean Markley Blue Strings 10s and these 2 picks that I keep with me all the time

[​IMG]

The left one is a Mojo pick made from an old quarter. I have one from my year of birth that I just keep at home for Mojo... And the right one is an ebony pick.

I also use some other picks, and use one of the rounder corners of the picks also for solos.

Gilles

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.