String on Mars

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
1660016253809.png

10 hours of Spacewind? That beats 3 hours of Hawkwind...

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I really can't tell if this is the most pointless article ever or, like, the most portentously doomy.

Mysterious bundle of string on Mars' surface found by Perseverance rover

Honest to goodness the "mysterious piece of string" is immediately identified as being from the Rover itself when it landed.

Then they're like "... But the Rover had never been to the place where the string is before" dum dum dummm...

And then they quote a scientist as saying, "it's likely that the wind blew it there from where it fell."

Then they are like "when the Rover went back, the string was GONE OMG" dum dum dummm

And the scientist is like "we believe that the wind may have blown it a little more, causing it to no longer be where it was,"

So there you go, the epic mysterious saga of a piece of string that was in one spot, and then the wind blew it to another spot. TWICE.

So part of me is like, what is going on? Are these people getting paid to have this conversation? This sounds like a conversation where bong hits were involved.

But there's another part of me that is feeling a serious sense of foreboding, like "this is how it starts..." I'm not sure what is starting but I've got a bad feeling about it.

I'm sort of considering calling my congresspeople and demanding that NASA drive the freaking Rover around and find the freaking piece of string and sweep it up, and you know, I shouldn't have to anyway, because grown ups are supposed to understand that littering is poopy and that doesn't change just because you aren't on Earth.

But if I give into that, then I'm basically guaranteed to become to become the old crackpot who turns out to have been right all along and I'm not doing that because the old crackpot always ends up saying "I'm the only one who can do the thing" and sacrificing himself for the stupid hero and that ain't me, brother
I am happy with their Answer.
But, it would have been nice to know it they were Flatwounds.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I haven't watched The Martian to see any simulated mars winds yet...

though, I did wonder if there was any wind on the Moon, too?....
There is solar wind, it's millions of miles per hour, but only radiation. Enough force to ionize the surface which suspends dust particles off of the surface and they waft around in the nuclear breeze....

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Wafting around in the nuclear breeze,
those Ion particles make me sneeze,
the solar wind arrives at noon,
radiating dust across the Moon....
Ouuu!

Do the moon dust shuffle
I do the MOOD DUST SHUFFLE
shuffling in the nu cle ar breeze!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Probably hair from one of these beast... John Carter the movie that killed this young man's career. LOL

1660060486355.png