String on Mars

thesamhill

Tele-Afflicted
I really can't tell if this is the most pointless article ever or, like, the most portentously doomy.

Mysterious bundle of string on Mars' surface found by Perseverance rover

Honest to goodness the "mysterious piece of string" is immediately identified as being from the Rover itself when it landed.

Then they're like "... But the Rover had never been to the place where the string is before" dum dum dummm...

And then they quote a scientist as saying, "it's likely that the wind blew it there from where it fell."

Then they are like "when the Rover went back, the string was GONE OMG" dum dum dummm

And the scientist is like "we believe that the wind may have blown it a little more, causing it to no longer be where it was,"

So there you go, the epic mysterious saga of a piece of string that was in one spot, and then the wind blew it to another spot. TWICE.

So part of me is like, what is going on? Are these people getting paid to have this conversation? This sounds like a conversation where bong hits were involved.

But there's another part of me that is feeling a serious sense of foreboding, like "this is how it starts..." I'm not sure what is starting but I've got a bad feeling about it.

I'm sort of considering calling my congresspeople and demanding that NASA drive the freaking Rover around and find the freaking piece of string and sweep it up, and you know, I shouldn't have to anyway, because grown ups are supposed to understand that littering is poopy and that doesn't change just because you aren't on Earth.

But if I give into that, then I'm basically guaranteed to become to become the old crackpot who turns out to have been right all along and I'm not doing that because the old crackpot always ends up saying "I'm the only one who can do the thing" and sacrificing himself for the stupid hero and that ain't me, brother

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
Despite the amazing decades-long investments in technology that make interplanetary exploration possible ( or intergalactic with the JWST ), there are real people involved. The fact that they are willing to share their moments of uncertainty and confusion to us in real time, and then having reporters make a mash of it all, does *not* make them "dum dum dummm".

Last edited:

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
FSM. Quob be omnipresent, Aarr.
1658472687609.png

Ra'men.

Last edited:

blueruins

Tele-Meister
I’ve read that there are now many articles written completely by artificial intelligence. This is one possible explanation.

Sometimes journals are used to pass on classified intelligence. Perhaps it may be a message for someone in a submarine beneath the the Black Sea?

People who write for a living are used to generating a lot of filler content to get paid. They also tend to be creative types who fancy themselves to be Hunter Thompson. The copious amounts of herbs and fungi in their salads may be interfering with their ‘prescriptions‘?

Flyboy

Tele-Afflicted
I really can't tell if this is the most pointless article ever or, like, the most portentously doomy.

Mysterious bundle of string on Mars' surface found by Perseverance rover

Honest to goodness the "mysterious piece of string" is immediately identified as being from the Rover itself when it landed.

Then they're like "... But the Rover had never been to the place where the string is before" dum dum dummm...

And then they quote a scientist as saying, "it's likely that the wind blew it there from where it fell."

Then they are like "when the Rover went back, the string was GONE OMG" dum dum dummm

And the scientist is like "we believe that the wind may have blown it a little more, causing it to no longer be where it was,"

So there you go, the epic mysterious saga of a piece of string that was in one spot, and then the wind blew it to another spot. TWICE.

So part of me is like, what is going on? Are these people getting paid to have this conversation? This sounds like a conversation where bong hits were involved.

But there's another part of me that is feeling a serious sense of foreboding, like "this is how it starts..." I'm not sure what is starting but I've got a bad feeling about it.

I'm sort of considering calling my congresspeople and demanding that NASA drive the freaking Rover around and find the freaking piece of string and sweep it up, and you know, I shouldn't have to anyway, because grown ups are supposed to understand that littering is poopy and that doesn't change just because you aren't on Earth.

But if I give into that, then I'm basically guaranteed to become to become the old crackpot who turns out to have been right all along and I'm not doing that because the old crackpot always ends up saying "I'm the only one who can do the thing" and sacrificing himself for the stupid hero and that ain't me, brother
Sounds like you've been on the bong hits!

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
First I've heard of wind on Mars?

Spacewind?.... band name alert...\m/

did the Moon have wind to blow stuff around?...

should Greenspacepeace send out a clean up mission to recover the discarded piece of string?..

this string does raise some weird questions, eh?.... ;)

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Update:
"Little green man" trips on space yarn litter. Traces source, declares war. Earthlings being slowly vaporized.

Wait, what am I thinking? Of course man has never sent a craft to another planet.
Its all a hoax. Filmed with a "smart phone" in Bill Gates back 40.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Spaghetti Nebula
Credit: NASA
1658520862060.png

Simeis 147, also known as the Spaghetti Nebula, or Sharpless 2-240, is a supernova remnant (SNR) in the Milky Way, straddling the border between the constellations Auriga and Taurus. Discovered in 1952 at the Crimean Astrophysical Observatory by Grigory Shajn and his team