String lore....

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RottenTheCat, Jul 17, 2019.

1. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

I just ordered a big variety of strings from an online vendor. They're a small outfit in NC, and sent a little note in the package about not cutting round core strings until after you're all strung up.

That, dear comrades, is a hard thing to do with a "safety tuner", like Fender mostly uses.

What happened to the old ways.... when Fender themselves used to tell you to BEND the string in at least a 90 degree sharp bend, to prevent the windings from coming loose from the core? I guess good ol' Fender 150's are not round core any longer, so it doesn't apply.

The other thing this vendor mentioned was to use strings within 3 months to prevent tarnishing and rust within the packaging (without ever being opened). I gotta say, back in the 1970s we just stuck the BOX of strings in the deep freeze to prevent just that.

Anyway... just a thought for today as I sort out my big string order..... Trying gauges, and brands to see what's good n not-so-good.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Telecaster88 and Fretting out like this.
  2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Before the interwebs we didn't know what we didn't know so all we could do was play music. Now we know everything about everything and that strings must be stored in airtight cryogenic chambers and bent by hydraulic press before being plasma cut to prevent immediate disintegration.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I coat my body in baby oil, then rub the strings all over. It's the only way to go.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t know if you ever watched Scott Grove on YouTube but he said he used elixir polywebs and would leave a set on for a decade;)

DonM likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So, sounds like Twinkies have a longer shelf life than my guitar strings?o_O

Disregarding the "use by" date on any set of strings I've ever had. If there is such a thing.

I pull them out of the package, cut them where they need to be and string them up.

In around 50 years of stringing up wound strings. I've never had any unwind. I do have other than just the vintage split shafts.

Just lucky I guess.:D

nojazzhere and DonM like this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've changed thousands of strings and have never had a wound string start to unravel.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. solarpanelasses

solarpanelasses TDPRI Member

seems like some low quality boutique bs

Fretting out likes this.
  8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I've seen round cores get loose winding (not on my guitars). The string goes dead and won't intonate well. I did have a couple of defective flatwounds get loose windings once, and same thing, dead string, won't intonate. I always install the string, and trim after tuning up, but you can't do that on the vintage Fender split shaft pegs, so on those, I measure the string, put a sharp hairpin bend in the string before cutting it. Then when it's time to insert the string into the center hole of the split shaft, a "unbend" it just enough to get it in the hole, then wind it up.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's why the vast majority of guitar strings manufacturers offer their strings in sealed airtight packs that last forever.

The good old Tupperware/rice thing also worked fine in the old days.

10. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I bought a used guitar that came with a set of strings that were sealed in airtight packaging. All of the strings were 50% rust when I opened the packages. The frets on the guitar were fairly corroded too. They must have been in a humid environment. I thought maybe they lived on a boat but supposedly they lived in a house in Berekely. CA.

I had an acoustic guitar with D'Addario coated strings that lasted several years when I was playing infrequently.

11. strat a various

Near the ocean ... salt air.

DonM and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  12. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

That must be it but I grew up in a beach town and I never noticed that much corrosion. Maybe they lived very close to the beach or maybe they lied. Either way I don't have much confidence in the individual bags.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  13. strat a various

There was a cool music store very close to the sea in Oceanside years ago. The owner told me he had to throw away a lot of strings because the plain strings all just rusted due to the proximity to the ocean. This was when strings came in paper envelopes in an unsealed plastic sleeve. The plain strings were solid black, and rough. I grew up in a beach town, about three blocks from the water, and I tried to hitch a ride inland to get strings, cause there was no fighting the humidity and salt.

DugT likes this.
  14. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

I cant remember getting corroded strings, but I sure have seen lots on guitars!

Sherman, set the WABAC machine to 1972.....
    [​IMG]

In that year, I joined my High School's guitar ensemble. We had about 30 Harmony acoustics (I can still smell the basswood!), and 8 red Fender Mustangs, without the stripes. You don't wanna talk about rusty strings.... Those guitars got played four hours a day, every school day, and took a huge beating. And they held up pretty well too. Strings got changed when broken. Ouch!

I dunno, I suppose it could happen... but with plastic sealed strings, the moisture would be that which was residual from being packaged. If string makers were having a real problem, just a tiny snippet of VPI paper in the package would be enough to make 'em last indefinitely.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

An old friend, truly an electronic genius, remarked a few years ago on how did we ever get good sounds out of our amps?.....when we knew NOTHING about matching tubes or biasing? If we had a tube go bad, we went to the HARDWARE store (usually), bought ONE replacement tube, and stuck it in the amp's socket, and started playing again. How many GREAT songs were played and recorded with UNMATCHED, UNBIASED tubes? I guess sometimes ignorance IS bliss. ;)

BB likes this.
  16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

If you don't install round core strings correctly the wound strings die instantly. As for "freshness," well, unless you live in a corrosive environment, how would that possibly occur? Most strings are sold in sealed packages. I guess you could freeze them on top of that, but the only time in my life I encountered corroded unplayed strings was a set of Black Diamonds that someone left in an old guitar case for maybe 4 decades. String sellers want you to buy more strings. Nothing like good, fresh nickel alloy right out of the foundry! Tastes great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.