1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String Joy strings

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Sep 14, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

So far I am liking them. I'll report back in a few days...

tah1962 likes this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Day 2, around 3-4 hours on them and liking them. More volume than the Retros. More piano tone than the Retros. More selective about the type of pick you are using, Primetone's work best, IMHO. The overall tone is warmer? But,can still be bright enough for me.

I will restring with them again. Unless they die this week.

3. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

15 bucks???

That Cal Webway likes this.
  4. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I’m spoiled to them. I’ve been using the 10-48 balanced set and almost every string registers as the same tension across the fretboard. I put on some Fender bullets this time and I can’t wait for them to die to put the stringjoy set back on.

DrPepper likes this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I tried a couple of sets and then went back to D'Addario EXL's. The later just feels better ballanced for my fingerpicking style. Nothing wrong with the Strin Joy other than the excessive pricing.

6. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've been using them for a couple of years now. They cost a few extra bucks, but keep that "new string sound" a lot longer than any other brand I've used in years so the extra few bucks isn't really an issue. I also play with a wound 3rd, their custom set seals the deal for me. I also use different gauges for different guitar...11-48's on one, 11-46's another, 10-48's on Teles & Strats. It's great being able to tailor a set of strings like that to a guitar.

DrPepper likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I used String Joys for a couple years (9.5-46’s) on my strats & teles, and had no issue other than they were a little on the expensive side. Since I retired, I’ve moved to Curt Mangan strings. They offer basically the same gauge/quality as the String Joys at a lower price. Both are great strings IMO.

DrPepper likes this.
  8. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

My local shop in Sweden, Malmo do have them. Their Broadway set are as close to vintage correct as one can get, and I have those ones on my Strat that has vintage pickups. People forgets that back in the 50s the strings (all) were:

1. Pure Nickel strings (the wound ones).
    2. ROUND CORE strings (which means no hex core, and you had to make a kink/bend before putting them on).
    3. Flat wound strings (these aren't though)
    4. Often much thicker gauge, at 012 (these aren't, they are regulars 10s)

But what is mitigated and disappears, is the Magnetic String Pull, from old pickups. Since Pure Nickel has less magnetism they mellow out nicely and balanced. The set holds 010-46. Yes, they are a tad expensive, but since now, I used to order from Newtone England, but since Brexit, all fees, and extra costs are now added on top of those.

I enjoy Stringjoy.

9. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

Currently, nothing has changed in England with regards to 'Brexit'. So you shouldn't be paying any thing extra. I'm guessing they are just trying to screw you.....

MatsEriksson likes this.
  10. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Probably Swedens equivalent to Parcelfarce (Postnord incl customs) are scamming us. Since Stringjoy exist in a local music shop, now,I can go in there, see the price tag, and that is what I am paying if I want to buy it, or I can choose not to.

11. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

If you use vintage Kluson tuners with slotted posts you will have no trouble with round wound strings. Curt Mangans are the best you can get anywhere at any price.

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

As much as I liked the String Joys, I ended up going back to Martin Retros...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.