string gauge, tension and neck relief

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by kurtmanifest1, Nov 19, 2019.

1. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Hello people, what´s your take on these two subjects:

1) I have a AV52 with a regular set of 11´s (it´s been strung with 11´s for more than 4 and a half years). Do you think that if I tune down half a step, the feel, tension and neck relief would be the same as if it had a set of 10´s and be tuned to standard pitch? (don´t wanna change strings and try it, please don´t ask me why!!!)

2) Besides, it´s a BIG neck, and it has a single way truss rod, already set to max relief, if I turn it, it would be to straighten the neck, I don´t need to do that. So my second question would be. Given the fact that it´s a big piece of wood, do you think that the relief is set for good since it´s been there for more than 4 years?
    Excuse my ignorance, thanks in advance

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I've had several teles with 12's that I tuned down to Eb, D or even C# to get a reduced tension feel. You can also get a dual-load tele bridge (Wilkinson makes one, among others) and top-load your strings. That will reduce tension too.

As for your truss rod/neck relief...I highly doubt it's set "for good." That's the point of having an adjustable rod. You can change it, even years later.

kurtmanifest1 likes this.
  3. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

1) It'll be close. Depending on exactly what set of strings you use. I use D'Adario XL .011-.049 on all my guitars, tuned down to Ed for my band, and I have a really high action for playing slide. I've done that enough years that I really don't notice it being particularly difficult to play for the most part. However, when I play my friend's guitars with 10's, I can tell a notable difference.

2) That shouldn't be truly permanent, and the truss rod should give you some straightening ability. It might be the neck has settled into a slight bend that will resist straightening if it's too much. You might need to make more than one adjustment, in small increments. But thick carved necks especially don't move that much anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

El Tele Lobo and kurtmanifest1 like this.
  4. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

D'addario has a string tension calculator. stringtensionpro.com You can set your scale length, string gauge and tuning to compare tension of different sets in various tunings.

kurtmanifest1 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Niceeeeeee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.