1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

string ferrules....what 2 get

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Mar 6, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I see all sorts of them on ebay and never having bought a body w/o them i have a couple questions.

1-how standardized are they...any chance of getting a set that won't fit a fender classic 60s body?
    2-splined or smooth? I would think splined is the way to go, but there seem to be more smooth ones and both are available from fender so i'm wondering is there's something i might be missing.
    Thanks..

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

You pound 'em in anyway, so I don't know how much the splines really add to their gripping power. I just installed some the other day for the first time and was kinda shocked at how tightly they fit. I thought my holes were too small at first, but they installed just fine with several FIRM smacks with a hammer.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I never assume that anything I buy even from the same vendors will be the same between purchases. I think the standard is 3/8" OD (totally a guess from memory) but I'd never drill the holes without having the ferrules in using in hand. As far as getting them to fit a body already drilled I can't help much.

Smooth should do. They're always going to be under string tension (well almost always) so I can't see the benefit of adding splines.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. fender4life

I figured maybe splined are a hair wider so the splines will cut into the wood and hold better. Just thinking back to a tele i had where one of them kept falling out. I secured it with a dab of white glue IIRC.

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Yeah I can see that.

6. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

There are a couple different sizes. The most common Fender American/Mexican one is 5/16". Asian bodies may use a different size.

7. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Oh, and try not to hammer them in. They are press in. Impact from hammer can damage stuff and knock the ferrules out of round.
    Take the head of the hammer or other heavy hard object, and press the ferrule down into the body. It'll go in.

8. fender4life

Thanks, I'll make sure they show the diameter.

ejphotos likes this.
  9. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I knocked mine in with a 3" x 3" wood tapping block. It did a good job of dampening yet evenly distributing the force of the hammer impact. I just had to shield the body around the ferrules during the install.

10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Pretty certain they're only meant to sit in place, if you need to "bash them in", they're the wrong size.

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I usually buy Fender ones, but for my last build I used Philadelphia Luthier Supply house brand. They were fine, and cheaper. They have top ferrules too.

12. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Classic Series - these should fit
    Fender Vintage-Style Telecaster® String Ferrules 0994918000

13. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

So impressed we haven’t wandered into the weeds yet. Well done, guys! No one is claiming brass sounds better than xyz, and no one is smacking anyone with hammers. Yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.