1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String distance from the body

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bancika, Feb 4, 2015.

1. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Can anyone help by measuring string height relative to the body, somewhere near the bridge? I'm trying to work out some math for a custom build I'm doing and wanted to compare with the real tele. It would be best if the guitar had relatively "standard" action, nothing too high or low.

Something like this (saddle type is not important)

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Bane

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a US tele at @.43" and one of my P90 hard tails @ .45".... under the E string in front of the bridge saddle, off the wood..

I hope that helps..:)

3. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

that's great, thanks! I was worried that my bridge won't be tall enough to get the distance close to the real tele. I got a headless system and saddles can go up to about 0.5" relative to the wood.

Here's where my concern comes from - if the standard tele neck pocket depth is 5/8 and neck is 1" thick, that leaves 3/8" of the neck above the body. Add to that the string distance at the last fret which is 3-4mm (string to wood, not frets) and the total distance between string and body goes up to 13.5mm, which is a bit more than 0.5".

[​IMG]

Can you please measure one more thing - how much of the neck sticks out of the body? Is it really 9mm as per warmoth?

Thanks again,
    Bane

4. trev333

yeh, just checked two teles... @ 9mm.. body to top of FB in the middle...

5. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

thank you, sir!

6. trev333

I am your humble servant, man.... not a sir... just a guitar player like you....

and awake right now.... cheers..:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.