String corrosion at outdoor gigs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This was back in the days when we used to keep our old strings I think that we ran out of those because I wasn't the only one breaking strings,
    we managed to get to a Virginia Tech bookstore on Saturday which was open and they actually had Gibson strings for sale which I do not use but I would have used anything
    I remember this!
    Edit it wasn't like we knew how to play like we do now but we were just always playing always jamming acoustic electric but man who strings were breaking that weekend

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't like the way WD-40 could penetrate all sorts of parts of the guitar, but something like PAM or a fine trumpet oil, applied first to the strings, could isolate the strings from the salt mist and the sweat.

I used to be pretty hostile to coated strings, but I think a player could easily be excused, using them in extreme conditions like beachside. I just worry about how destructive the salt air would be to the internals - think about salt penetrating the guitar into the truss rod. I think my MIJ Epiphone acoustic died in part because of this.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I bought that one can of Fast Fret several years ago. I was visiting my brother who lives 375 miles away, and he took me to his favorite guitar shop (that has since closed). Someone here in Corpus Christi had recommended Finger-Ease, so while I was visiting that little guitar shop up north, I asked if they had Finger-Ease, just to buy something from them. They didn't carry Finger-Ease, but did have the Fast Fret, so to be polite I gave it a try. I don't use it on my electric guitars; those nickel wound strings seem to last forever. I just use it on the Phosphor bronze strings I use on my acoustics. So that one can has lasted for years, and still has quite a few applications left in it.

4. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

:)

5. LGOberean

I've worried about the salt air and internals as well. For me, the concern has been the electronics of my teles and acoustic/electrics. I didn't think about the truss rod. Thanks! Now you've given me something else to worry about! :twisted:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. Stratwrangler

You only use it very liberally and yeah I bet the coastal air must be a nightmare. Nice problem to have though:)
    Again maybe a squirt of wd down the truss rod could stop them ceasing up, preventative rather than reactive.

7. Stratwrangler

Wonder if it has an adverse affect on pick up windings but I suppose most are was potted now so shouldn't be problem .

8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

You meant sparingly, I assume?
    Liberally means a generous amount, ie, a lot...

On the subject, I've played 'salty' gigs on the Atlantic coast and had no string trouble, but I know others players who do find this.
    My guess is that the acidic sweat thing is the main issue but that a dose of salt on top makes it worse. And faster...

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. Stratwrangler

Yes I did , sorry temporary brain freeze obviously :)

TG likes this.
  10. Stratwrangler

Yeah I mean you must have to be playing outdoors a lot for it to affect the guitar over all long term but strings uncoated I suppose will be accelerated once combined with acidic sweet personally I would just use coated strings if it was an issue regularly.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Would be fascinating to see if anyone had done a thorough examination of this subject. As for me, our places in Louisiana and Florida have been close but not too close to the ocean. The water in Lake Pontchartrain is brackish and generally not saline enough to cause meaningful problems for pickups. As to switches and pots, solders, yes it has been a bit of a problem over enough time. If you own a guitar you and keep it there, you best play it a lot to justify the harm from the exposure. I don't keep "excess" guitars in So. Louisiana any more.

12. Stratwrangler

Yeah it would be actually, does it affect your cars badly out there? .

13. LGOberean

I have 5 teles, one is a recent purchase from back in June. The others are from 2008 to 2012. And in recent years, I've had problems with the switches on 3 of my 5 teles. Could this be due in part to weather and perspiration factors? I dunno, but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to suspect that is part of the dynamic.

As for coated strings, like I said, I've tried them on a couple of my acoustics. I actually tried them many years ago as well, but I don't really remember the results, and in any case I didn't make the switch back then. More recently, as in this year, I tried them and they lasted for several months, like I said, outdoor playing and all. But when I followed that up with another coated set, they barely lasted two months. This particular experiment was on my go-to gigging a/e guitar.

I do have two other acoustics that I strung with the same make & model of strings (Martin Lifespan SP MSP7100 "treated" strings). That was back in the third week of July, and I took both guitars with me on an RV camping trip, so they were played outdoors, but not down here in the sea/salt air. So it's been going on three months now, and those strings are still holding up pretty well. But neither guitar is used for gigs, and neither one gets played outside much.

I'll still consider coated phosphor bronze strings for my gigging a/e guitar(s), but I probably won't decide completely on that as long as I've got a good back stock of strings, which I do.

Stratwrangler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.