String contacts neck after nut?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by fenderrookie, Nov 21, 2005.

1. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

I just noticed my low E string on my 57 reissue is touching the neck after the nut. I have not ran into any playtability or sustain problems with this string. It has .010-.046 strings as were on it from the factory. Is this a problem? See link below for a pic

[​IMG]

2. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Evidently not yet; at least sound wise that is. If it were my guitar though, it would bug the piss out of me. Have you had it a long time? The nut slot for the low "E" probably just needs to be filled in. Cosmetic damage on the wood would probably be hard to correct. So I would do it soon. 8)

3. fenderrookie

There is already a divot in the neck! :cry:

What to do now? Have the nut fixed or leave it as is?

Thanks

4. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I've seen a fair amount of new Teles just like the one in the pic. I don't personally like it, it's poor workmanship imo. You could either shim the nut, have that slot filled a bit, or have a new nut installed. Don't worry about it leaving a mark in the wood, you'll get over it, we all do :D

5. bighank

bighank TDPRI Member

Fix the Nut

Howdy,

Poor workmanship from what once was a great company.

My '59 doesnt have that prob or my '57.

I run the Bass E at higher action anywho....

Big Hank

6. Rick S

Rick S Tele-Meister

It's hard to tell in the pic, but it appears that the area behind the nut is too wide. It should be 1/8", same as the thickness of the nut, if you want to check it.

It doesn't appear that the nut action is too low, but with everything proper and a low E slot cut relatively low, you can expect the string to barely clear this spot. This is a spot with little tolerance for error.

Another thing that has been causing this is some of the Kluson clone tuners have shorter shafts. I don't think that is the problem here. A full size Kluson shaft should stand 7/16" high, from the headstock face.

From what I can see, I think it's probably a wood problem. Either too much behind the nut, or tuner holes drilled slightly off...or possibly a combination of both.

7. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

I don't think so.

Presuming the guitar plays in tune, then the depth of the nut slot is correct. You should not alter that, as the instrumnt will not play properly!

I guess that the machines for shaping the headstock and/or cutting the slots were set up wrongly, leading to the step down on the headstock being too far from the nut.

If it was mine, I'd take the tuners off, tape the nut area and use a drum sander in an electric drill to remove more wood, taking care to blend in the curve. Then I'd relacquer that area and cut back/polish the lacquer to make the repair invisible.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

String touching the fingerboard or neck, aft of the nut? That's a no-no, get it fixed.

9. 5965

5965 Tele-Holic

It's probably a combination of a couple of tolerances all going wrong in the same direction. Hard to tell from that angle, but the nut slot looks a bit low, so it may be too deep.

Basically, that's just reduced the break angle slightly for that string. If there aren't any weird sounds or vibrations, and if the string sustains ok, it's probably not worth worrying about functionally. It can be repaired easily enough.

But if it's a new guitar and a recent purchase, I'd try to get it fixed or replaced.

10. Arby

Arby Tele-Meister

You've got one wrap too many around the tuning post.

11. Rob DiStefano

No, he doesn't.

12. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

agreed.

to my blurry eyes, it looks as if the "scoop" isn't scooped enough....
    personally, i'd hope to find someone talented like Rob DiStefano, and make some arrangements for correcting the problem....

13. Arby

Arby Tele-Meister

Rob,
    if you look closely at the tuning peg, you should see a slot in the top.
    What you can't see is a hole drilled centrally down the axis of the shaft.
    What you may not realise is that the string is cut to the optimal length for this type of tuner, ie, just enough for the end of the string to enter the said hole, bent at 90 degrees to pass through the slot, then one wrap to lock the string in position, any more is superfluous.
    Don't sand the neck, C'picker, just reduce the number of windings. ;)

14. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Well spotted Arby

Wish I'd spotted that! He's probably wasted a load of money on a drum sander, when all he needs to do is reduce the number of windings, to solve the problem.

I have a strat with the same kind of slotted post. I'll just check my windings.

15. 5965

5965 Tele-Holic

Agreed. If anything, it could use at least one more wrap to get a better break angle.

The edge it's rubbing is a full nut width beyond the nut. I don't recall seeing a Strat nut mounted that far inboard from the dropoff. That positioning (or lack of sufficient milling to the headstock area), coupled with what looks like a low slots, are the issues, not pilot error. IMO, YMMV, etc.

16. Rob DiStefano

1. Yes, I know that's a Kluson style tuner.
    2. I'd never reduce the number of turns already on that low E string.
    3. The break angle off that low E is ok, though I'd opt for another turn and increase it a bit more.
    4. Whatever is the precise problem with that guitar (nut slot depths too low, headstock shelf cut a bit lower that normal, fingerboard extension too much), clearly there is a problem that needs attention.

YMMV, but it shouldn't in this case.

17. fenderrookie

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I am going to take it in tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.