String bending troubles

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Cloodie, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:32 AM.

1. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

I've only really been bending strings for about a year now, as opposed to bashing out chords etc, and I've never been quite happy with my technique. I think that I'm bending with the 'wrong' part of my finger. I've tried to post a couple of pictures below.

The big indentation is where I usually bend and as you can see it's behind the finger tip. The smaller indentation is where I was messing around trying bends with today.

[​IMG]

I've also taken another picture hoping to give a better idea of things in relation to the tip of my finger. The indentation you can see here is where I've been bending today, whereas my usual position for beding the string is further back ib my finger.

[​IMG]

Which part are other folks using here?

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

try a smaller gauge string set, and make sure your frets are crowned. it aint your fingers....

PhredE and notroHnhoJ like this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

If I'm bending down (toward the floor), I'll bend closer to where the larger indent is in your finger. If I'm bending up (towards my face), I'll bend closer to where the small indent is. Reason being, I want a lot of mass behind the string when I bend up, and there's more of it on the tip of the finger than the pad of the finger. Does that make sense?

paul74, Boreas and Cloodie like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'd look at your guitar setup more than anything.. what are you playing, what string gauge, make sure the action is setup well. Get it to a tech if you need help.

9s and 10s on a well setup guitar there shouldn't be much discomfort and good technique.

I will occasionally beat up my fingers a little if I need to bend up two strings at the same time with two different fingers. Angus Young does this and I learned some of his solos lately.. he plays a Gibson with the shorter scale so maybe that's easier than a Fender style scale with 10s or larger.

Also if you're only bending one string.. bend it with your 3rd finger instead of your second. But use your 2nd finger to assist if you're not already doing that. If you do that well it greatly reduces the strain on your fingers. Hard to explain but you also want the 2nd finger to push the next lower string out of the way and mute it a lot of the time too.

When you have to bend both strings in a double stop you can't really use the extra finger to assist and that's where some extra strain can come in.

I'd have had a really hard time getting this down personally without a lot of in person instruction.

5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

a lot of bends can and should be done with "helper fingers".

6. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

I should probably add, this isn't about discomfort in terms of pain etc, there's no issue there. It's about just not feeling 'right' in terms of technique. It's a little difficult to put into words.

Boreas likes this.
  7. magicfingers99

if its really difficult, get a friend to help, 3 handed guitar is so much fun..

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Heck, why stop with 3?

Go for 5!

Cheers,
    Doug

peteycaster and magicfingers99 like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. Or as Paul Gilbert likes to call it, the "Giant Finger".

Frodebro likes this.
  10. magicfingers99

i've never bent towards the floor, what is the concept behind that? any bending of the string should produce the same increase in pitch, regardless of direction, based soley on the amount of bending involved. so what benefit does bending the string downward produce?

Maguchi likes this.
  11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

It's just a positional thing. For me anyway. If I'm playing on the A or E and need to make a big bend, I'd rather bend in the direction of the greatest fretboard surface, not in the direction of the near-edge of the fretboard. I bend the high E, B, and G up, and I bend the D, A, and E down. D can go both ways, really, and I probably do bend it in both directions depending on the size of the bend.

peteycaster and Ron R like this.
  12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Maybe you're relying on one finger too much? Maybe your finger tips aren't callused enough?

I typically bend with my index, middle, and ring fingers all at the same time. I believe most guitarists do the same. This technique spreads the load over three fingers and makes it much easier.

Maguchi and magicfingers99 like this.
  13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

exaggerated and or twangy bends on the low e and a are mostly downward.

peteycaster and PhredE like this.
  14. magicfingers99

it sure keeps them strings from slippin loose, you can break em, but they won't slip free..3 fingers is the way to go or 2 in a pinch..

Maguchi likes this.
  15. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

The thing is the ergonomics of bending downwards using the power grip---your hand is stronger closing than opening. Bending down (and vibrato) should be easier because those muscles are stronger.

16. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Your second pic is closer to where I bend from; getting it further into the 'pad' of the first digit means you hit more of that meaty bit on the tip, and at least for me, that makes it less precise (and requires more effort to effect the same range of bend).

Every string is a little different though, as is every finger, and it varies based on where I am on the neck too. Still within a bit of a range. As ever practicing it daily, seemed to dial in more consistency for me.

Cloodie likes this.
  17. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ideally, you should be able to bend where you would normally fret with your fingertip. That is going to be the most efficient. Same with vibrato. Just fret normally, then bend. To me, bends are from the forearm and have little to do with the fingers. If you are doing Gilmour bends, sometimes it is helpful to double your fingers, but my fingertip never moves.

FWIW, it can be difficult to do heavy bends if your action or frets are too low.

18. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hadn't really thought about this before but by intuition I bend the bottom three (E A D) down and the top three up. I suppose I've just always done it that way from day one.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, the smaller indent should be easier to get leverage pushing a bend. If pulling a bend then your big indent may be fine.

Cloodie likes this.
  20. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

How do you get your fingers so clean?

I really just got serious about bending a year or so ago.

My biggest challenge is making noise on other strings while bending up or down.

Muting is really to me the biggest overall challenge with electrics

Bend more than 1/2 step I try to get the tip and any helper finger I can.

Half steps and vibrato is more the flat of my finger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.