1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

String bending problem

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by dhuber, Mar 30, 2013.

1. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

When I'm practicing the same riff with bends over and over again my fingernail will start pulling away from the skin on which every finger is doing most of the bending. This is quite painful. Eventually I have to stop or move to something else that does no require bending.

Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone have any solutions?

2. ermac68

ermac68 Tele-Meister

I have the same problem from time to time. It doesn't happen frequently but when it does, it makes bending pretty painful. I have not come upon a solution other than give it a couple of days to heal usually 2-3 days before its back to normal. I'm sure there are others out there and would live to learn a "quick fix."

3. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Try lighter strings if you're doing a lot of bends. I use 12's and bend once in a while, but if I did lots of bends in my playing, I would switch over to 10's or 9's.

4. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

What gauge strings are you using? I presume you are playing an electric and not an acoustic?

Have you taken a step back and taken a look at your basic bending technique, I don't quite understand why your nail would be coming away - due to the fact that my nails compress into my fingers (not uncomfortable) when I exert pressure on the fingerboard, they certainly don't go the other way... Perhaps you are bending with the 'wrong' part of the fingertip?

Failing the technique issue - try a lighter gauge of string on your next change and see if that helps!

I do ALOT of bending in my playing and have no issues with .11 gauge strings!

5. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Superglue helps w that pain/problem.

6. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Surely that's just a temporary fix for a recurring problem - perhaps trying to eliminate the problem will save glueing his fingers?!

Edit: Are you cutting/ filing your nails so that they are suitably short?

7. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

Yep playing 10's on all my electrics. I keep my finger nails trim especially on my left hand. I don't think a 1/2 step bothers too much but when I'm doing a lot of full step bends I run into trouble. If it's just a bend I cheat and slide up to the note. However when it's a bend, release, and pull off it's kind of hard to cheat. I have a friend that only plays 9's and I've tried them but I don't like the tone. I just wanted to post and see if anyone else had this issue. Typically when this happens I just move on to practicing scales.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  8. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Vitamin deficiency?

9. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

I love your posts! :D

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the string is a little higher on the pad of the finger than it should be. You might also try tuning down a half-step.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

How are your callouses?

If your callouses are nice and tough, this will help. Also, you don't have to trim your nails real close. A 16th of an inch is fine.

12. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Lemme get my ruler sir! :D

13. fezz parka

Split nails have been around for a long time. Quick fix for a gig is Super Glue. Long term fix is a good tough set of callouses. Let the split heal, build up your callouses. Lighten up on the bending until you do.

14. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

I just looked at a ruler and that is still quite short Fezz lol :)

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - no matter how much I play/whatever gigs I've done... I've never had any issues with nails or callouses. :cool:

Doesn't mean I don't sound like cr4p though! :D

15. fezz parka

One time, on the day of a show, I was cutting up some old carpet to throw in the bin. I sliced my middle finger good with the blade. I Super Glued it back together for the show.:lol:

16. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

I'd have called in sick :lol: Note to fellow TDPRIers... Keep sharp objects out of Fezz's reach!

This one time... At band camp! ;)

17. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

The OP says his nails are pulling away from his fingertips, not that anything is splitting. So,,,, I was serious about a vitamin deficiency. Had that problem myself.

18. fezz parka

That's what a split nail is: where the nail separates from the skin under the nail.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you use your middle and index fingers behind to your ring finger to bend? Pushing with all three fingers when you can, or at least two when you need the index elsewhere? Strings may be too low as well.

Try more vitamin B --for Bend :D

20. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Vitamin deficiency that caused the condition illustrated in your avatar? :lol:

I'm tellin' y'all it's a technique issue!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.