1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Streaked Ebony is a feature now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by King-of-Tone, Apr 2, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Damn, stressful topic.

2. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Definitely liking the fingerboard. Considering how many people rave over Brazilian rosewood spiderweb figuring, I'm surprised nobody has used black and white ebony or something like marblewood for fingerboards.
    black-and-white-ebony-200x200.jpg
    IMG-20190604-WA0067-400x400.jpg

Levitamin likes this.
  3. Levitamin

Levitamin TDPRI Member

Of all the things to be upset about right now, a big company using sustainably harvested, formerly “reject” wood with the “wrong” coloring pattern for a fretboard is pretty far down the list. But it’s easier to focus on dumb BS than actually work to make a positive difference of the world.

Is this neck overpriced? Maybe. I was able to sell my original neck to offset more than half the cost, so it wasn’t a big deal. Would I have bought it at full price otherwise? Probably not. For the record, it’s one of the best feeling necks I’ve ever played and I’ve played hundreds in my time.

4. Manothemtns

Manothemtns Tele-Meister

So, you know your dalbergias. Pretty dry stuff...suits someone such as yourself. You could've at least attempted to answer my questions, though you need not now try. I know what the answers are.
    Remember, we live in a real world, not a theoretical one. You are, no doubt, a quiet man who only rises from the murk when prodded to reveal your starry brilliance. Then, having exhausted your energy stores you dive down deep, once again,
    hoping to go unnoticed. But a funny thing happens. A bit of time passes and there again is the familiar urge...overwhelmingly
    powerful, it guides you inexorably up, up, up to rise and feed on the next unsuspecting soul.

I'd be pleased to take you to task on this offline. For reasons having to do with grace I Iwill no longer be responding to you publicly on this forum. I've noted your stage name and will henceforth be ignoring you.

5. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Slow down and read properly. I said control the population growth. There's about 3 times the population there was 50 years ago. That's the fire; everything else is just smoke. Now go back into your safe space

tomkatf and Manothemtns like this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Taylor said this a couple of years ago when he could only access Ebony and Rosewood from Madagascar. He more or less said get used to it as the good stuff has been taken worldwide.
    I got a Rosewood Taylor and Spruce top, even the cutting of Spruce from Canada was storm damaged trees ( see Youtube on this).

7. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

I'm late to this thread, but I can tell you with certainty where the trend of using brown & white streaked ebony on guitars really started: It was Jimmy D'Aquisto and John Monteleone.

John (who I have been friends with since 1972) became friendly with Jimmy in the mid-late 1970's. At some point they went to the CF Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth, PA to go dumpster diving.

Martin, like many other builders, would discard a lot of ebony that wasn't close to solid black. Jimmy, however, used their discards as a design feature displayed prominently on pickguards, tailpieces and fingerboards.

Here are a couple of shots of the guitar John built for me last year showing some streaked ebony: IMG_6700.JPG IMG_6744.JPG fullsizeoutput_12c4.jpeg

Levitamin likes this.
  8. Levitamin

Levitamin TDPRI Member

Yeah. What makes solid black ebony "good" and streaky ebony "not good?" Perception. If fretboards and furniture had traditionally been made with the streaky stuff, the title of this thread would be "Solid Black Ebony is a Feature Now?" I'm really happy to have a fretboard made from wood that would have been thrown away in the past. The fact that people were wasting wood like that should be incredibly offensive, not the fact that this wood is now taking the place of the supposedly perfect all black stuff. It's like defending shark fin soup. Hey they used to throw away the useless parts of the shark that can't go in the soup!!

9. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

There was a time when Martin used to sell quite a lot of lumber, including sawn veneer of a lot of different woods that I don't think even made guitars out of, except perhaps custom orders. I think they called it 'the Sawmill', and it was part of the 1881 shop. I think that's the number. It was back in the 80s when I ordered from them.

10. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I've been to several African countries where ebony is grown, and used in furniture and carvings. Over there, they could careless about the blond streaks, and in fact they like it. Many beautiful ebony carvings that I have seen in my travels featured streaks.

"Back in the day" guitar manufacturers opted to have just the solid black ebony, and that became the norm. When streaked ebony is presented to Western markets today, we look at it as defective, less than, "unpure" even. In reality, it's the norm. It's the nature of the tree. Now to charge extra for it, if that is what Fender is doing, is fraudulent as there is more of the streaked ebony available than the solid black variety.

northernguitar and Levitamin like this.
  11. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

I think marketing is finally being perceived as having gone too far. Once they started adding marketing departments, the marketers started taking over companies and driving out the founders, in many cases. Some people just have that 'jet black' preference, which I don't care about. Same with the relic finish. Personally, I like the odd, irregular grain, and some defects can make for interesting visuals. With marketing just spewing all the 'deluxe, gold, limited, private reserve, etc. nonsense for 'limited mass production', it's bound to cause an equally irrational backlash. Just the nature of universe.

Levitamin likes this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

There is an aspect that you apparently are not aware of . Black anything ( ebony , richlite , katalox ) is much easier to hide imperfections from inlay , etc . with simply because it is black . Trying to color match anything streaky is going to be very difficult . The lighter the color , the more difficult it is to work with in this particular aspect .

13. Levitamin

Levitamin TDPRI Member

There are a lot of things I’m not aware of. I am aware that this thread is pointless and dumb.

Manothemtns likes this.
  14. Levitamin

Levitamin TDPRI Member

I have to assume that Fender charged more for this neck because they only made relatively few of them, compared to the standard necks they make. The all rosewood neck is the same price.

15. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I'm all for using alternative woods for building guitars. How does Black Locust sound musically. What about the feel under the fingers? Is it comparable to ebony, maple or rosewood in feel and sound?

16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Nearly impossible to answer since what you ask is completely subjective . I have both Black Locust and Mulberry and I have no issues with either .

17. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Hi Robert,
    I think it was the 1833 Shop. They also had a division called The Woodworker's Dream starting in 1984.

The wood that Jimmy & John loaded their trunk with, however, was stuff that Martin normally discarded, though I'm sure it involved no trespassing:)

HE

18. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I bought a new Martin OOO Jr. last month and it has the Richlite fretboard. First guitar I have gotten with it and I really like it. Very dark (like ebony) and seems very hard. It is also machined to look like it has very, very tight grain. Only visible under close scrutiny. Seems like it would resist wear for a long time, but at 74 not something I am likely to ever find out.

I would sure prefer it to the laurel or pau ferro that they are using now. Even over that streaky ebony.

19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

20. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!

Reported and ignored

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.