1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Streaked Ebony is a feature now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by King-of-Tone, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Persimmon turns black when the tree is over 80 years old. Starts with what they call mineral streaks, which appear in the so called spider web figuring.

2. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Bob Taylor bought the last Ebony processing plant about 10-15 years ago. He stated in his you tube video that they had to cut down 10 trees to get one all black and the rest were left to rot on the jungle floor. He harvests and sells all the wood now because the Ebony trees were/are nearing extinction. I wouldn't pay anything for a striped neck. My 1967 Johnny Smith is solid black, my two 90's vintage Taylors are solid black, my American deluxe Tele and 2-Stratocaster necks are solid black. And I'm glad I got them when I did.

boneyguy likes this.
  3. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

It's through reading about Bob Taylor (also my father's name incidentally) a few years back that I learned about the plight of ebony. It breaks my heart to think of all the wasted wood that was cut down and left to rot because it didn't meet some absurd standard of what ebony should look like. I think that they also use the previously felled wood when they can, no? They aren't only cutting down fresh wood I don't think. Anyway, I think it's good that something, no matter how small, is being done to help the situation. I love ebony fretboards. My Eastman T486 has a very nice ebony board...it's very likely been dyed...I'm not sure but that makes no difference to me.

Manothemtns likes this.
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

My opinion is that after over 100 years of manufacturers telling customers that BRW is the way to go , that has become a perceptible reality . The only way that I see of changing that reality is for professional artists to request or demand change . Once that happens , the rank and file will eventually accept it . This will only happen with newer players because the older players will resist change for a myriad of reasons . In other words , it will take a full generation to affect any change of this perception once it begins , and it has yet to be proven to have begun .

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I saw an ad for Fender branded pre-streaked underwear. I thought it was a joke.

6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Pine can be grown successfully and sustainably, at low cost and without great negative environmental consequences. No one has figured out how to grow ebony like we grow pine. Partly because it takes 70-200 years to get big enough to be useful (only trees over 150 years old have the solid black wood) and partly because its really hard to start from seed. Basically, wild ebony is all there is. In Africa, in most places were it was found it was harvested until there is none left. It may be extinct in Africa in 20 years.

For these reasons I am happy to have a different wood for my guitar.

But your idea of killing off billions of people instead seems reasonable. I'm surprised CITES didn't think of that!!!

7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

IMHO, I think the classical crowd is even more entrenched in tradition. But, as the Leonardo Guitar Research Project has shown, it is possible to substitute a number of other (non-tropical generally) woods and make fantabulously great guitars just the same.

It's been posted before, but here it is in case any lurkers might not know about it:
    http://www.leonardo-guitar-research.com/

Hope that they continue this into the future.

DougM likes this.
  8. Manothemtns

Manothemtns Tele-Meister

And just where is this fabled black rosewood, higher in density with tiny, imperceptible pores like you want on a fingerboard? Which, rosewood or ebony, is the material that Martin and Gibson select for their highest-end guitars? When Gibson does a run of higher-end, Limited Edition guitars they often up the ante to ebony. Collings almost exclusively uses ebony. So does Bourgeois, SCGC, Huss and Dalton, Furch, Lowden, Larrivee, the list goes on. Have even the world's finest guitar builders on the planet
    been duped? Marketing? Why is it that this darker than dark grade of rosewood seems to appear only in photos and is virtually never seen on a fingerboard?

In all my years of playing and buying and selling guitars I've never seen a rosewood board with the characteristics you outlined.

9. Levitamin

Levitamin TDPRI Member

I like mine. I needed a new neck for my 1993 American Standard and I really wanted a black headstock. The shiny chrome spaghetti logo was what sold me. The streaked ebony was an added bonus IMHO. I think it looks elegant.

IMG_2490.jpg

Robert Graf and DougM like this.
  10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I find a little irony in that a company that makes guitars I really like has today made it possible to purchase their latest offering: electric guitars and basses with carbon fiber necks and pickguards. The company's name is KLŌS, if you're interested.

11. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I'd love to see more synthetic materials used, but I guess they haven't figured out how to market those yet.

I've always thought that micarta would be a good choice for various guitar parts.

12. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Carbon fiber is great material when you need its properties, but it is in no way better for the environment than using wood.
    I remember being in elementary school in the 70s, and the school supply shop started selling pencils with some rubbery polymer instead of wood. They were marketed as "saving trees". This was insane. Cedar is a fully renewable resource. It grows fairly rapidly, and can thrive in soils where little else will. There are likely upwards of a million cedar trees within an morning's walk of here. But we were supposed to use pencils made from oil, with, no doubt, polluting byproducts, instead.

13. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

(sorry- duplicate post)

14. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I have never figured out the "relicing" thing. The only guitar I own with an ebony fingerboard is my Les Paul Custom.

DougM likes this.
  15. shovel80

shovel80 TDPRI Member

If I buy a guitar with ebony fret board, I like it solid black like on my Martin Acoustics.
    Terry

16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Who cares about saving forests in Africa? What's more important is that I want a perfectly black fretboard! You all make me sick!
    Guess what? Walnut flattop guitars sound as good as rosewood or mahogany ones, and my Squiers with IL boards sound as good as my Fenders with RW. And, an OM21 with RW bridge and board sounds just as amazing as an OM28 with ebony ones. I'm done with this thread and all you selfish hypocrites.

Levitamin likes this.
  17. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Not hypocrits at all - well made relics look great, have some street cred, and because of the extra time spent on them, can be some of the best playing guitars out there.

Even if you don't like the look of them, next time you see a custom shop relic pick it up and play it - they generally play like butter.

'Streaky ebony' on the other hand is the reject stuff...traditionally ebony was known and desired for being uniformly dark and consistant...but we're down to the dregs, so the marketing department are working their tails off to dress up cheap mutton as lamb.

...and they haven't sold me on that incipid looking rosewood replacement, pau ferro, yet either.

18. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Classical anything can easily be entrenched . If you care for an example , stride into a shop that caters to the classical player and ask to see a left handed violin . Contrary to what you are likely to hear , they are made and sold . I have done this innocently once . I will not be making that same mistake again .

PhredE likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You're a complete and illogical hypocrite, so welcome to my ignore list. You've earned it.

20. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

The most common one is Dalbergia retusa, clown. Also called Cocobolo. Most of it turns extremely dark. It starts out sometimes very light in color, but it will turn way darker than any rosewood I've seen with the exception of D. melanoxylon. And there's several other Asian rosewoods that start out bright red that get far darker than D. latifolia. And many other woods as hard and strong as ebony that are very difficult to distinguish from the darkest of ebonies. You sound like a typical programmed dunce.
    While not rosewoods, I've seen plenty of Katalox and Ziricote that are dark enough to require a very close inspection to distinguish them from ebony.

King-of-Tone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.