Stray Cats in the 80's. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Cjl77, Oct 16, 2015.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I saw them at the Uptown Theater in KC, Mo. in either '82 or '83.
    One of the best live shows I've ever seen. Loved seeing Brian and
    his blonde Fender Bassman amps. :)

2. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

I saw them out on Long Island - The Stray Cats home turf - sometime, somewhere in the early '80s. And I really don't recall the show at all. They did a record signing at Sam Goody Records in the Roosevelt Field Mall, about fifteen people were there. I got my record signed by the band and I guess I saw them that night. They were kind of goofy -- like Sha Na Na. I was waiting for Bowzer to come on stage.

Doing fifties rock and roll when there were so many fantastic post-punk bands around shattering the conventions of what rock could be (think of Public Image Ltd.), was really a goofy thing to be doing at that time. Yeah, The Stray Cats could play. But so what? They were really just Sha Na Na with real tattoos. That oldies stuff was dead in the fifties, why bring it back in the '80s against such groundbreaking post-punk bands? Music was so exciting and was moving so forward in those days, who had time for a nostalgia novelty act?

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I bought their albums in the 80s but never saw them live I run into Brain a couple of times a year. He lives here in Minneapolis now and we have the same amp tech. In fact hes seen pretty regular around the music stores in town. I taught in a school last year where one of the long call substitute music teacher was playing in his orchestra for a period time. Brian drives a great looking jaguar. Easy going guy.

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

not sure if serious

5. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

Serious.

Think about it this way: If a band today gets on stage in polyester suits and does full blown disco numbers with a mirror ball overhead, would you take them seriously?

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

why not...they are making music from a era they like

the stray cats had a tinge of punk in their music...it was mostly rockabilly...pretty cool style of music from the 50s...if they debuted in 1957 say...they wouldnt go far...they were too fast compared to the rockabilly of that time...they arent psychobilly but they rocked

and sha na na rocked...granted i wasnt into them back then...but they were doing songs from an era they liked...look at the ramones...they were a throw back band with a different style...fast

7. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

I can believe it! I saw them at the Starry Night in Portland, and my ears rang for days. In the middle of the set, Mr. Setzer broke out a banjo while Lee and Jim took a short break. To this day, my ears clench when I see a banjo. Great show, though.

8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Double post.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  9. ajmojave

ajmojave TDPRI Member

I saw them in about 85 at the Whiskey. I think it was my 2nd concert ever. It was my first time on the sunset strip. what a memory!

10. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

I was in a NYC club in the early 80's and Setzer and Slim Jim came in and spun some cool discs good times...........

11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

They've done some touring in the last ten years or so in Europe. I recall hearing that contractual requirements of the Brian Setzer Orchestra keep the Stray Cats from touring in the U.S. (The bass player in the main band of the keyboard player from my old dad band tours with the Orchestra.)

I saw the Stray Cats live in the '80s, but it was the late '80s on one of their reunion tours.

12. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Slim Jim has been touring with Dead Men Walking for a while now a mix of loads of old 80s names, Kirk Brandon Captain Sensible etc. All doing each other's number!

13. willyb

willyb Tele-Meister

Never had the chance to see them back in the day. But....I do have tickets to see him next month for his Christmas show. He is my GF's favorite guitar player and as much as she loves all of his work she has never seen him so it's going to be a fun show.

14. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I saw them twice in S.F. I remember the show where they broke into Rock This Town, about a half dozen girls from the audience (all in prom dresses) jumped up on stage and started dancing with the band. So cool.
    The second show was after Rant and Rave came out. They had a horn section play with them on Look At That Cadalliac. Even without the horns that little three piece could fill a hall with sound pretty good.

Re: Sha Na Na, they rocked hard. I saw them at Woodstock and they were great. They played the Fillmore West a few months later and brought the house down. It's the only wime I ever heard the crowd roar at that venue.
    If your view of them was from their silly TV show, you never really heard them.

15. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Yes Yes Yes!! Brian is a great guitarist!

16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

He's great

He's the reason I'm (still) gassing for a Gretsch.

He's a phenomenal guitarist (and he can sing and write) and he gets some of the best rock and blues electric guitar sounds out there.

17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

This is correct in that the hometown (and country) would not accept them when they first came out.

They moved to London England and Dave Edmunds took a liking to them and produced 2 UK releases - including the singles "rock this town", "Runaway Boys" and "Stray Cat Strut". Those albums sold great in the UK and Canada which convinced the record company to release "Built for Speed" in the USA which was just a compilation of those first two UK releases.

As for thinking they were taking music backward.... not to me they didn't .... they had a punk element to them that they combined with that 50's sound. The singles were tame compared to the album cuts and live show. It was more punkabilly than rockabilly.

18. Bodean

Bodean Tele-Meister

Never saw them live, don't guess they played around me. From the first time I saw them on Sha-Na-Na I was a fan. I really enjoy watching 3 man bands anyway.

19. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

I don't remember the opener. My main memory of the evening was my brother's choice words and expression after we got carded. I quickly whipped out ID with his birth date on it, before he slooooowly did the same. The old guy serving us didn't bat an eye. It was the Morrisey, after all,

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I honestly feel very sorry for anyone who can't be a Stray Cats fan. At least of their early material.

Saw Setzer with the Orchestra, a few times (don't mess with a big band!). Never saw the Cats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.