1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strats with FAT necks

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Telephonist, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Hi,

I´m a big handed guy and I need fat necks to feel comfortable. Can you tell me a few Strats that have big, fat necks? It would be too nice, if you could tell me the exact dimensions (depth, width at the 1st and 12th fret).

I´m interested in the dimensions of following guitars:
    - American Vintage 57 Strat
    - American Vintage 62 Strat
    - American Hot Rod 62 Strat
    - Jimmie Vaughan Strat
    - Stevie Ray Vaughan Strat
    - Eric Clapton Strat (not the Custom shop model)

So if some of you own them, please tell me the neck specs.

I´m also interested in other models with fat necks. I´m thankful for every new idea! :)

Daniel

2. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

My 2004 '57 Strat neck is 20mm at the 1st fret and 21mm at the 12th...not fat at all!

3. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

The 50s classic player has a slightly thicker v-shape as well.

4. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

The 60's necks feel bigger to me. I've never measured them, but it's my favorite neck on Strat's.

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The First Generation Jeff Beck Artist Signature is undoubtedly Fender's largest production Neck on any Stratocaster.
    Next - the original - circa 1991/1992 Robert Cray Artist Signature had a gorgeous "to die for" Neck - that happened to be chunky.

We're talking Stratocasters here so even though I've seen a couple of Nocasters that are pretty big - really nuthin' comes close to the 1st Generation Jeff Beck.

6. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

50's classic series has a pretty fat neck, but I'm not going to measure it... it is the fattest strat neck I've felt. U shaped.

7. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've seen CS Relic Strats with nocaster profile necks (Strat headstocks) that were definitely a handful. My local shop -in this case GAK Brighton- had some in recently.

8. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

I haven't measured it, but my Eric Johnson strat feels close 0.85" at the first fret, which translates into 21.56mm, which, now that I type it, it seems so minimal, but is so significant... Especially when "baseball bat necks" are a mere 3.5mm more.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

You can rule these 2 out.

10. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

I've heard the same thing about the Kenny Wayne Shepperd Model. I picked one up one time and it had a nice chunky substantial neck. If you could get your hands on one to test drive I would suspect that would be a contender in your strat search! Happy Quackin'!

11. cleanman

cleanman Tele-Holic

Heres a thought. Find a guitar that you love the sound of, then go to warmoth or some other aftermarket manufacturer and order one in the dimensions and configuration you like. This works if you are after sound and playability rather than visual recognition. I have a fatback and a '59 roundback. You can also pick fret height and material as well as nut material if you like. I love options.

12. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Massive neck, way too big if you ask me- it is like playing a baseball bat.
    Or a caber.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.