Strat's pesky, unforgivable "VOLUME Knob" location

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by freshchops, Apr 15, 2016.

1. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have a problem with my Strat, but on my Jazzmaster and Jaguar I cut a hole in these for a tension washer deal.
    [​IMG]

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Strats and teles are the only standard electric guitars I play anymore. I think the Fender Stratocaster is the most ergonomically perfect electric guitar layout ever designed, personally. I've had some Frankenstrats and builds with various configurations, but have always wound up coming full circle back to the original layout.

I'm with waparker4 & Ringo, I think the volume knob is placed perfectly on a Stratocaster. I always feel like a fish out of water trying to do swells on anything else. The knobs and switches and pickups are all placed perfectly in my opinion, and I don't always finesse, I also play quite aggressively.

I love Fender Telecasters, love the look, love the sound, don't love the layout. I love the fact that it's a simple format, but that's as far as it goes. Like many, I reverse the control plates on teles. This is an improvement in my opinion, but I'm still far more at home on a strat, strictly with regard to functionality of controls.

The volume knob on my early 60s Supro lap steel however is right in the way of my picking hand, and I sometimes struggle with that at sessions. Now that is a PITA.

Everybody's different.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. PaulieBoy

PaulieBoy Former Member

Been a strat player for over 40 years and never noticed it until you said something. Thanks.

stnmtthw and Fred Mertz like this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I have more issues with hitting the switch on my Tele than I do hitting anything on my Strat. Pick between the mid and neck, and don't flail. No problem.

stnmtthw likes this.
  5. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Been playing a strat 40+ years and do recall having problems hitting it but somehow eventually overcame it. I do s lot of volume swells nowdays and I'd say it's in the perfect position for that. Only Modification I do now days is move the middle PU tone control to bridge. I never use that PU except in conjunction with the neck or bridge. Also now that I've learned to properly set the trem, all my strats are floating. Platefire

6. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Rubber washer under the knob works for me but if I was going the 2 knob route I'd leave the third as a dummy not connected to anything to preserve the look of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.