Strats no longer a popular choice in Christian music?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by bear04, Jun 29, 2014.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

You almost never see a Strat in any of the churches I've been to out here. I play mine occasionally, but I've got other guitars that sound better for rhythm, and since 99% of contemporary worship guitar is rhythm, they get the nod most of the time. Strats are great lead instruments, and mediocre rhythm instruments, IMO. Other than Brewster, there aren't many lead players in modern Christian Music, which is a real shame. And, I'm not saying it's a shame that Brewster plays real leads rather than the ubiquitous octave progressions many worship players fall back on and call leads. When we do sets that call for actual leads, I bring the Strat.

2. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

I think the shame is wanting to go backwards in music (Brewster leads) instead of going forward.

Couldn't you say that Brewster leads (which are really just Clapton/Mayer rip offs) are just as ubiquitous if not more so?

3. CapnCrunch

I don't want to derail this thread, but this kind of cracks me up. In contemporary Christian Worship music, which stylistically follows behind popular secular music by about 5 to 10 years, we are currently seeing a resurgence of folk style music, acoustic music and keyboard driven music, and a movement away from electric guitar driven music. Popular music has been making this shift for a good long while now. I hope that you would not call these styles new, because they really aren't. There is nothing new under the sun, and musical styles are always getting recycled. Wait 20 years and 80's style hair band rock will be back in, so in a sense, a lot of Brewster's stuff is really really ahead of it's time.;)

Brewster, whether you like him or hate him, is not a blues player and borrows little to nothing from Clapton or Mayer, though I'm sure he could play blues if he wanted to. His style is much more in the 80's rock vein, which was heavily influenced by classical music. I'm not a huge Brewster fan, but I do respect him for his talent and his refusing to be shackled by the self repression that hamstrings most CCW musicians(this is my opinion only). I'm not suggesting that we go backward or forward, since we are only recycling styles that have existed for 60+ to several hundred years. If you don't like instruments, guitar or otherwise, taking leads, more power to you. Personally, I love to hear talented musicians add their "voice" in lead breaks, or between vocals. Whether it's a keyboard or a guitar or a violin etc., I just wish more Christian musicians had the guts, and freedom, to do it. No forward or backward, just freedom.:D

4. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I watch Harvest church services weekly on my roku and there's always one, if not two strats being played. It's nice to see that strats still sere a purpose in worship music

5. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

You're right. They did worship the 1st day at the Calvary chapel Senior Pastors conference last week and Hans was rocking a strat.

I talked gear with those guys last year. Super cool dudes.

6. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Brewster has a record where half the songs are direct rip offs of John mayers continuum record :)

As for Christian guitarists giving their own voice to leads... Jason Martin, James Duke, Buddy Miller.

7. CapnCrunch

In my experience, all artists (including Christian musicians) copy other artists. It is the way it's done. Not familiar with the album you're referring to, but it wouldn't surprise me. Every musician does it.;) Like I said, there is nothing new under the sun.

8. saltytonk

saltytonk TDPRI Member

I will always play a Strat . Especially for CC and PW. and the reason is swells.
    The location of the volume knob .......its located so that I can use my pinky to do swells. I cant imagine playing Christian music without swells and a delay. Also works great if you play with an OD on at all times , you can vary your crunch with the volume knob.
    I have tried volume pedals before , but just don't like it. I know lots of guys do. But not for me.

9. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Even though you included, IMO, I must ask you to check yourself on that statement, as I feel it's patently ridiculous. From Nile Rodgers to Jimi Hendrix to Mark Knopfler and all points in between, great players of all description use the strat and it's five delicious pickup combinations to create epic rhythm guitar parts. Sultans of Swing? All Along the Watchtower? Le Freak? As they say on ESPN, "come on, man!"

10. CapnCrunch

Which statement are you thinking is ridiculous? That this is my opinion or that I think the Strat is wanting as a rhythm instrument? I put the IMO in there because it is my opinion. I was certain that others would have a different opinion, and you are entitled to yours just like I am to mine. I don't think your opinion is ridiculous, even if it doesn't line up with mine. In my opinion, the Strat is a far better lead instrument than rhythm instrument. I will retreat from my statement that it is "mediocre" for rhythm. I should have said "comparatively" because it is such a stellar lead guitar. Again, this is only my opinion.

What are Knopfler and Hendrix most known for; their rhythm? They both gloriously show off the power of a Strat as a lead instrument, and they both could make a $49 Kay sound great as a rhythm guitar (probably as a lead instrument also because there is no substitute for raw talent). Knopfler is one of my all time favorite players, and probably the biggest influence on me getting the first of many Strats. Check out Vince Gill on his Strat. He was equally influential in giving me the Strat bug, and David Gilmour put me over the top. I can tell you that it was not their rhythm playing that gave me the itch to go out and buy a Strat, though. I'm definitely not trying to start a flaming derail about "which electric guitar yields the BEST tone", and I'm certainly not ragging on the Strat, just the opposite.

In line with the original posters question, I thnk that there is a stigma attached to Strats in the modern worship world. It seems to me that guitar virtuoso's are, for the most part, not welcome in the CC worship scene. The philosophy that I've run into is that the guitar player should not stand out in the mix and should definitely not play any type of traditional rock or blues style leads in worship music because some think it is distracting. There is a ton of this kind of stuff out there in blogs like "guitar for worship" and in videos by people like Paul Beloche etc etc. In many blogs, Lincoln Brewster is called out by name, judged, and railed on because he missed the memo that lead work has no place in contemporary Christian Worship music.

So, you walk into practice and sling on your favorite Strat and you get instant judgment by folks who recognize the venerable Strat as a symbol, or icon, of screaming guitar leads, and wonder when you are going to take off and noodle over everyone. Personally, I think that is the biggest reason you don't see Strats as much as other guitars. Most worship guitarists I've played with look down their noses at the Strat because many agree whole heartedly with the philosophy that "Leads are distracting and therefore BAD". It is my belief that for them, the Strat, used by the likes of Stevie Ray, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blacmore, Eric Clapton, Rory Gallagher etc. etc. etc., epitomizes all that is anathema in modern contemporary worship music. That, In My Opinion, is one of the big reasons why you don't see more Strats on Worship stages. I'll say it one last time, this is only my opinion, and I'll freely say that I certainly could be wrong. If you think my opinion is ridiculous, don't say so and then offer your own as superior. Disagree all you want, but I'm not going to tell you that you don't have a right to an opinion. After all, they are like belly buttons. Every one has one, and they all stink.:lol:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  11. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

A Strat can be used for anything and it works just fine.That's just my opinion.

12. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

I have a been a long time Strat fanatic, but more so a Fender nut job. Just the past couple of years have I shifted towards a tele. I have been leading worship at my church for a little over 3 years and generally the tele is my go to. However, from one practice to next or one Sunday to the next, it is all about what feels good at that time. Sometimes the strat speaks to me, sometimes it doesn't...and vice versa.

Concerning the amp, I play a Crate V52 Solid State at church because I leave my fender HR Deluxe at home...too much to lug around...just sayin'

13. Sideways Jaye

Thank you. I defend to the death your right to that opinion.

I used the term "ridiculous," because your previous statement was about as credible as saying, "the Earth is flat, IMO."

The stratocaster is demonstrably a superior rhythm instrument. In addition to previous examples, see also Pops Staples, Curtis Mayfield, Buddy freakin' Holly...the list goes on.

14. Sideways Jaye

Screaming lead is just one part of what Hendrix did. He is widely acclaimed as one of the greatest rhythm guitar players of all time. Google "rhythm guitar style of Jimi Hendrix," and review his studio recordings. Similarly, I don't even like EVH's lead style, but his rhythm parts are great.

15. Sideways Jaye

16. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

There is a ton of this kind of stuff out there in blogs like "guitar for worship" and in videos by people like Paul Beloche etc etc. In many blogs, Lincoln Brewster is called out by name in judgment by folks who recognize the venerable Strat as a symbol, or icon, of screaming guitar leads, and wonder when you are going to take off and noodle:[/QUOTE]

If that is true, that's too bad. 'Nuff said.

17. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Wow. My only point was that I just happened to notice that after a major 3 day concert I did not see one single Strat. Not a big deal. I just noticed that old concert footage from the 60's, 70's, and 80's was loaded with Strats. But lately in CCM and main stream music, they are getting harder and harder to find. Some people love them, some people hate them. That's all ok. It was just something I noticed.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I played my Tele in worship today...

18. TelekineticBoss

TelekineticBoss Tele-Holic

All the big concerts I've been to in the past couple years have had a lot of jaguars, mustangs, semi-hollows and teles. Haven't seen a single strat. You know what? It hasn't stopped me from playing strats in my church.

19. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

It's an observation I have made as well. Some people defend their favourites vigorously. :lol:

In 1969 at Woodstock you saw a lot of Gibson 335's . . . and then Jimi came on with his stratocaster. Trends come and go.

Personally, my fave at this moment is a tele, but I've used both strats and teles in worship.

20. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

And some opinions are based on fact. Perfectly stated, me thinks.

God put Brewster in front of us as a hint. Many of us have not taken the hint. It's an electric guitar, not a wallflower.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.