Strats and Teles: Who has both?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vetplus40, May 20, 2017.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I do, I do!
    And unless I go right to the Strat when I have a Strat urge, I never can put down the Tele.

awasson likes this.
  2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I made the mistake of picking up my Tele first and plugged it in the other day. The Strat didn't stand a chance.

If they aren't plugged in, it's the Strat first time, every time but if it's into an amp, the Tele wins hands down every time. My Strat sounds good, it really does but my Tele... Now that sounds just glorious... It's rock-n-roll!

3. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

4 teles, 2 strats

4. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Photos of my 1964 Fiesta red Fender Stratocaster and 1970 fender Rosewood Stratocaster.
    [​IMG]
    I like this color scheme together!

[​IMG]

1970 Rosewood tele, 1964 Fiesta Red strat and 1966 Custom Tele...3 great Fenders
    [​IMG]

t guitar floyd and richiek65 like this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have two of each. They all sound different. They all get played.

Teles and Strats are so completely different from each other that having both is a must.

awasson likes this.
  6. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

I have one of each ... they each have their virtues

7. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I have plenty of each, but am on a tele kick right now.

awasson likes this.
  8. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

I have a Strat, a Gretsch archtop, a Gretsch Projet, a couple different accoustics, a Strat/Tele hybrid, and currently working on a Tele. Each has different sounds, and different feels. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

If I had to pair things back, I 'd probably just go with the Strat, the archtop, and a Tele.

9. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

...it's " apples and oranges " A Strat and a Tele are 2 different designs and materials and pickups. So the sound of either includes the guitar and the amp (leave pedals out of it for a minute). A cheap amp versus a pretty good amp make s a big difference. It's been said repeatedly that a nice amp will make a beater sound better than a sharp guitar into a cheap amp. So I say have a good amp that is plenty for your purposes (power, weight, versatility, etc. that you want) and after that, concentrate on pickups if asjustment of them alone and a capacitor switch will not improve the guitar sound enough for you. capacitors are cheap, pickups can be good ones a $25-40 used, and amps means getting into hundreds of dollars each for a pretty good one. And learn which local guy is skilled and knows his amps and ask him for help.... especially for a good used amp that a guy is selling cheap... see ?

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

This is pretty much how I feel!

11. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Yo 2015-11-13 13.48.19.jpg 2017-05-11 19.24.32.jpg 2016-11-21 14.20.40.jpg up!

SnowStorm, HoogieHar and JJAdams1956 like this.
  12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I used to.
    I recently sold all my electric guitars except for my two favorite telecasters.

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I currently own 2 Teles and 3 Strats. I play my favorite Strat and favorite Tele more than my other guitars combined. They're both great guitars as far as I'm concerned. I have a great old Les Paul and a 335 but don't play them much these days. When it comes to the gig I take 2 guitars - the Strat and the Tele. Some gigs I play the Tele more, some gigs the Strat. I would be hard pressed to pick just one, but with both I can cover anything I need.

14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I've had both, but only a strat at the moment. A strat has always been my #1 and I think always will be. But I love teles too and, which there's absolutely no rational reason on earth for me to have two electric guitars, I'm really jonesing for one. I'm pretty sure I'll add a tele by my next birthday if I still have the GAS at that point. Once I start playing my strat, I never want for anything, but in all the times I'm not playing it, I find myself thinking about how much I've loved the teles I've played over the years too. So probably one of these days I'll have both. Only one of each, probably both...

15. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Love both of these ...
    tbh I only really use the neck pickup on the fiesta red Tele ('64 AVRI), but boy do I love that neck pu sound for playing blues stuff.
    The CCR Am. Std Strat has sweet pickups too, especially in pos 2 & 5.
    But, there's something about both of these guitars that you can just about cover everything without needing any other guitars with you.

Strat and 64 Tele a cropped1024.jpg

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Can't live without both. Can't afford much but my Oly white 50's CV (slightly modded), Surf Green Squier and partscaster Tele get me there

richiek65 likes this.
  17. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

One of each at the moment. Brand new Baja Tele and a partscaster that’s been rebuilt more times than I can remember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nichd01 likes this.
  18. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Nice man cave!!

19. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 Tele-Meister

549C4A49-B3B6-45A1-BC7F-1A2B6FCC60EB.jpeg

The three basic food groups...

richiek65 likes this.
  20. nichd01

nichd01 Tele-Meister

Finally found one strat I actually liked to play... otherwise it's tele's and les pauls. Not sure why, but those two seem to go together well for me. So for the books.. one strat, five teles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.