Stratosphere Nocaster neck

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Aug 23, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've always loved the Nocaster neck profiles. So much so that I've bought and sold 5 Nocasters in my life time, including a masterbuilt most recently. I've always preferred the 52 for tone. I've recently purchased an American Original that I just love. Its nice comfortable weight at 6.5 pounds which is much lighter than any Nocaster I've owned. And the tone is exactly what I like to hear in a tele. Then neck actually isn't that bad. Its fairly chunky (.930 at the first fret and 1.01 at the 12th) but the shoulders aren't big like on a Nocaster giving it the feeling that its much smaller than a Nocaster U.
    So I'm looking at the Stratosphere sight and they have a Nocaster neck for sale. Its expensive but if its like the neck on nocasters I've owned, might be worth it.
    So I'm wondering, #1 Where do they get the necks? I don't understand why they'd part out guitars or do they have a supplier where only they can get these parts? Are they legitimate.
    And #2 is Stratosphere a good company to deal with.

2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I’ve had several good dealings with them and I’m in Australia. Not sure how they acquire their stock though but I’ve had no problem with quality. Cheers

3. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

AFAIK, they buy guitars and take them apart, because they make more profit by selling the bits separately. Just like people spend their time parting out less-than-pristine 70s Fender. Gone are the days you could buy a natural relic or something with a few issues for cheap. You can only doe that now in bits! Where the Stratosphere are concerned, I have no issue with doing that on fresh guitars still in production. It all keeps Fender in business and modders who would otherwise buy third party happy. But I’d guess the success of this sort of thing is part of the reason why Fender’s selling necks and bodies again these days and offering the mod shop.

4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Does Fender sell and American made Nocaster neck?

5. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Not that I’ve seen. They do very few US necks but their range of Mexican ones is surprisingly varied.

6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I dealt with Stratosphere on several occasions when I built my nocaster, and never had a single problem with product or service... in terms of order processing/shipping that sort of thing. As a result, I have no idea how their cust. service is regarding issues. But, everything I've bought off of them has been legit, genuine Fender or Allparts products etc.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Some friends of mine know a couple that work for them. They are in New Hampshire. The story is that
    when Daddy's Junky Music Stores chain went OOB, these guys bought the liquidated stock and built a
    good customer base so kept on doing it. I, personally have not met them but a friend has and was given
    a chance to choose a neck at one of their local warehouses. They do part out the guitars.

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I've bought a few things from them. They were all as expected. It's a fairly big company they do around 8 million a year in sales.

9. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Odd how they part out brand new Custom Shop guitars but don't have the neckplates or COA packs for sale.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Some Ebay seller used to sell the neck plate and COA pairs, I don't think that was Stratosphere though.
    That's kind of a shady practice though. The only reason anyone would need those 2 items is to fake a Custom Shop model.
    Funny thing is though, that neck plates and and COAs are easy enough to fake too.
    May anybody trying to fake a Fender also get faked themselves.

11. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

They do actually include the COA and neckplates on some listings. My partscaster has a CS body and it included the COA. What I noticed is that they almost always split the 2 between 2 listings. The neckplates end up with the necks sometimes, the COA with the body, or the neck plate on the body/no COA to be seen, I've seen the COA with just a loaded pickguard, etc. I bet they have some kind of deal with Fender about that.

I also think they probably get unsold stock from all over, including Fender themselves. I've seen some odd CS bodies that you have to figure were test paints or even NAMM guitars they couldn't sell or something.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I bought one thing from Stratosphere. My Fender-licensed WD Music all-rosewood neck. Huge U profile, 1.00" all the way, and I love it.

Stratosphere was good to deal with, no issues whatsoever.

I just looked, and a Nocaster neck, with tuners, is selling for $1200 :eek:. Those tuners cost about $50.

You can get an excellent early blackguard big U neck from Musikraft for about 1/3 the price, but you'll need to finish it and cut a nut (or maybe they offer that).

MK is an excellent source, and they're all about the vintage profiles. You can actually order based on the serial numbers of Teles listed in Nacho's Blackguard book, if you like. If in doubt, I'm sure a quick call to them would settle the issue of getting the right profile.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Why not buy another Nocaster keep the neck and part out the rest?

Stratosphere is solid but prices are high IMHO

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

If I could get a good deal on a used Nocaster that might be worth doing.

15. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I may get shot down with this theory but I had a theory that they somehow get b stock from fender
    I bought a new fender jazzmaster neck from them and the tuner mounting holes looked as if the neck never had tuners and it has small imperfections that are hard to notice unless you really look.
    I also always see the heels marked differently from regular sale models that look like they were marked at the fender factory maybe designating them seconds.

I’ve also bought a loaded pickguard where the edges were rough and seemed like it would not pass QC but it appears to be legitimate Fender

Either way I’ve bought many items from them and they seem legitimate and authentic the origin of the items is just puzzling

16. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I think that is completely possible as well. My body had a light relic job So I wouldn't notice any imperfections luckily haha.

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

IK have not bought from the Stratosphere, but I've read lots of threads about their merchandise, and have not encountered any complaints, other than that prices are on the high side. Lots of people are offended by the idea of parting out guitars, but Fender is spewing stuff out of its factories, Custom Shop included, in vast numbers, so it's not like they're interfering with anyone getting a guitar. Personally, if they had something I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate. And nice comment about Daddy's Junky Music stores. I patronized two, and they were among the last places on earth where you could drop in, nose around, and maybe find something unusual and surprising -- both amps and guitars -- for modest pricing. RIP.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.