Stratosphere guitar parts website, I don't get it

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
I've always been curious where they get their stock, though. I'm sure they're not a Fender dealer. Are they getting seconds that they're parting out? Buying dinged up stock from dealers and selling the good parts? If they were in NYC I'd suspect they all fell off the back of a truck, but they're in New Hampshire. That's not a place known for its organized crime.

I would suspect they have an arrangement with a Fender dealer.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
As much as people say they save on the higher priced guitars, the lower priced ones would cost more if you buy all the parts from them and assemble them. And even then, they don't have as much lower priced stuff, I was looking for some Affinity and Bullet stuff they don't carry.

Also, not much Gretsch stuff.

And some of their bodies are not weighed, like the WD bodies.

msalama

Tele-Holic
This is cannibalism, in every basic sense.

Overdramatic much? Because no, it bloody well isn't. Vintage's all different and if they were parting out 60's (or even 70's) Teles I'd agree with you completely, but these are mass-produced and mass-marketed commodity guitars we have an abundance of.

Treeface

Tele-Meister
Well I bit the bullet and bought a Stratosphere "loaded" Ultra body + Ultra neck. They had a 10% off discount weekend on Ultras, making the total cost under $1500. That's a substantial discount from an actual American Ultra, so I figured I would risk it.

And it seems to be a real, unused American Ultra strat. What don't you get? No case of course. No strap buttons, bizarrely, so I've had to shell out an extra $15. Seems a very strange place to skimp - I assumed loaded meant everything; apparently it doesn't. Came with no allen wrenches or truss rod tool. Again, strange, but of course I have those already. Everything else seems there. It did come with a little pouch, with some stickers and a certificate of authenticity (I suppose to frame and hang on the wall).

The guitar took a good bit of tweaking because the truss rod came shipped *extremely* tight, and on the body the trem screws were entirely backed out, throwing the bridge angle way off. But with the dust settled it's an absolutely amazing neck, and the body curves on this Ultra make, without a doubt, the most ergonomic guitar I've ever held. The first modern appointed guitar I've ever owned, which is exciting.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I like to look at the Stratosphere parts website, but I don't understand their business model. Do they acquire new guitars, take them apart and sell the components? Just curious.
This is exactly what they told me when I asked how they get all of the fender loaded bodies. They cannibalize them and sell separately.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Overdramatic much? Because no, it bloody well isn't. Vintage's all different and if they were parting out 60's (or even 70's) Teles I'd agree with you completely, but these are mass-produced and mass-marketed commodity guitars we have an abundance of.
I don't look at cannibalizing as a negative term. It's just a term for piecing apart one complete "thing" to make other complete "things."

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Just picked up another body from Stratosphere through Reverb.
Fender Roasted Maple replacement neck will be coming from Sweetwater.
Fender Player 3 Color Burst body, Fender Roasted Maple Mim replacement neck.
Will be putting in a 4 way Toneshaper and Fender CS Texas Specials.

These are commodity guitars and whether they live on as Fender built them or in partscasers, I don't see an issue with it in any way shape, or form.

Frankly, how is it different than the typical mods or upgrading people do on their guitars every day? You don't hear someone criticizing someone for wanting to replace the neck on their guitar for something they might like better? I just don't see a downside to what Stratosphere does. 🤷‍♂️

xbpvrxtwmisysxvlxjnu.jpg two.jpg

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
I got a Les Paul classic from them at the beginning of the month and it turned out great. I sold my Les Paul studio last August and my Les Paul tribute in January I want to get a nicer Les Paul and it was too good to pass up. The tribute model I had also purchased from Stratosphere and from that I had a few Gibson burstbucker and 57 classic pickups already waiting on a guitar. I've also purchased a P Bass and Telecaster neck for some partscaster builds.

E3E76220-B670-4DA4-B094-786F8ECFD4C0.jpeg

ED69520C-F8EA-467D-8761-1D85C4E8CEDB.jpeg

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Dealers are required to buy $X amount of inventory every year.

They may sell $Y in that year.

If X > Y they have stuff hanging on walls when they need to order the next years stuff.

X-Y is surplus.

They can sell it to an outfit like Stratosphere for a big discount. (Say 55% of MSRP) and everybody makes out.

I have personal knowledge of peeps that have bought high dollar Martin special editions for, let’s say $25k instead of $40k

Dealers have to sell their quota.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I have used them. Never had an issue. Ages ago, Fender used to sell necks and other parts right alongside their guitars. Got a wall-hanger with an imperfection or shopworn, why not sell it to these guys? Get if out the door and make room for something more likely to sell. They aren't butchering vintage instruments.

Their prices aren't that great, but if you need just a neck or a body, they can come in handy.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
I don't look at cannibalizing as a negative term. It's just a term for piecing apart one complete "thing" to make other complete "things."
Is it really even "cannibalization" though? Wouldn't that presume that one or several guitars EAT other guitars ( or consume themselves, to be more precise)? In fact, it might be argued that because of this, there are more guitars (or potential guitars) available than there would otherwise be?

Stratosphere's model is probably closer to "reclamation" if referred to in the positive, or "organ donation market" if referred to in the negative.

pi

Tele-Meister
Read the descriptions very carefully.
Nearly everything is listed as "vintage" regardless whether it is or not.
Everything is new or nearly new. They might label it vintage if it's from one of the vintage reissue models. So vintage is a model designation, not literally vintage. This could be confusing if people don't realize it.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Is it really even "cannibalization" though? Wouldn't that presume that one or several guitars EAT other guitars ( or consume themselves, to be more precise)? In fact, it might be argued that because of this, there are more guitars (or potential guitars) available than there would otherwise be?

Stratosphere's model is probably closer to "reclamation" if referred to in the positive, or "organ donation market" if referred to in the negative.
Oxford #2

Cannibalize - Verb /ˈkænɪbəlaɪz/

cannibalize something to take the parts of a machine, vehicle, etc. and use them to repair or build another
  • The turbine building was partly stripped and cannibalized for other parts of the building.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
Oxford #2

Cannibalize - Verb /ˈkænɪbəlaɪz/

cannibalize something to take the parts of a machine, vehicle, etc. and use them to repair or build another
  • The turbine building was partly stripped and cannibalized for other parts of the building.
Damn... as a practitioner (with other types of gear), I was really hoping to cleanse myself with "civility." It turns out I'm just another mad cannibalistic savage.

Treeface

Tele-Meister
Well I bit the bullet and bought a Stratosphere "loaded" Ultra body + Ultra neck. They had a 10% off discount weekend on Ultras, making the total cost under $1500. That's a substantial discount from an actual American Ultra, so I figured I would risk it.

And it seems to be a real, unused American Ultra strat. What don't you get? No case of course. No strap buttons, bizarrely, so I've had to shell out an extra $15. Seems a very strange place to skimp - I assumed loaded meant everything; apparently it doesn't. Came with no allen wrenches or truss rod tool. Again, strange, but of course I have those already. Everything else seems there. It did come with a little pouch, with some stickers and a certificate of authenticity (I suppose to frame and hang on the wall).

The guitar took a good bit of tweaking because the truss rod came shipped *extremely* tight, and on the body the trem screws were entirely backed out, throwing the bridge angle way off. But with the dust settled it's an absolutely amazing neck, and the body curves on this Ultra make, without a doubt, the most ergonomic guitar I've ever held. The first modern appointed guitar I've ever owned, which is exciting.
In other words, this thread directly cost me $1,500. OP I will be sending you a bill for your 1/2

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Thank you.

I use the word in the context of cars, pickups, motorcycles and all that. I do it when I have to and try my very best to avoid it - but I would take three cars to make one sound car, in a heartbeat, and have done so in the past.

Sounds like some people were ready to call me before the Geneva Convention. Cannibalism applies to flies, to all sorts of things, living and not living. If I had said "Human Cannibalism" I would owe everyone an apology. But I didn't say anything about humans - maybe some poster or two above your post owes me one. I think drama is often in the way people react or over-react to the world around them, not in the world itself.

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have used them. Never had an issue. Ages ago, Fender used to sell necks and other parts right alongside their guitars. Got a wall-hanger with an imperfection or shopworn, why not sell it to these guys? Get if out the door and make room for something more likely to sell. They aren't butchering vintage instruments.

Their prices aren't that great, but if you need just a neck or a body, they can come in handy.
I hear you.

I guess I would go there, as a last or second to last resort. I'm just confused as to why some people (it appears) have sort of become addicted to this approach, and seem to do nothing but reassemble these parts. I found it way more fun to buy reproduction parts from Tommy Rosamond and Allparts (and so on) and finish the stuff and arrive at the end point that way. If nothing else, you learn a lot more that way.

To your point, though: The dealer and others are removing and replacing parts as part of a diversified, whole economic model - whereas Stratosphere does nothing but dismantling based commerce, at least historically. I see more recently they've begun selling Allparts stuff and other items not from torn down guitars. I'm encouraged by that and hope they continue in this direction. I think there's a finite amount of money in this sort of thing and I'd rather see this money in the hands of small town guitar fixers and folks who put more guitars together (and do it well) than they tear apart.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Thank you.

I use the word in the context of cars, pickups, motorcycles and all that. I do it when I have to and try my very best to avoid it - but I would take three cars to make one sound car, in a heartbeat, and have done so in the past.

Sounds like some people were ready to call me before the Geneva Convention. Cannibalism applies to flies, to all sorts of things, living and not living. If I had said "Human Cannibalism" I would owe everyone an apology. But I didn't say anything about humans - maybe some poster or two above your post owes me one. I think drama is often in the way people react or over-react to the world around them, not in the world itself.
Yeah, in my work (computers) its a no-no unless theres a dire need. Guitars? All good as long as no guitar stays in pieces too long.