Stratosphere guitar parts website, I don't get it

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have picked up stuff from them for years. Most is OEM resale. Parts. Good stuff.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
That is exactly what they do. It you bought all of the individual components to build a guitar, it would probably cost 4x what you can buy the guitar for, but the prices on individual parts are generally cheaper than retail.

fleezinator

Tele-Meister
In my case, I got a loaded HSS pickguard off of an American Performer Strat to put in my parts build. For a fraction of the cost, I've got the main guts of the Performer & placed into a build of my spec. As far as I know, the HSS pickups found here aren't sold as a set so in my case Stratosphere fills a niche void for me & other tinkerers

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Indeed. Components like finished necks and bodies can be hard to source period, let alone at decent prices, so they are useful to those wanting to upgrade or change such parts on a guitar they otherwise like. I don't use them much, but for something like a set of tuners for a particular model Strat, they can be both helpful in having such things to begin with, and, in my case an yway, having good pricing, too. A lot of people hate what they do, but obviously there's a market and a need.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
They are a chop-shop.
You need to know what you are looking at.
Their descriptions are sometimes vague or generic.
Read the descriptions very carefully.
Nearly everything is listed as "vintage" regardless whether it is or not.
They do have some cheaper non-Fender repro parts.
If in doubt, it's likely not OEM Fender.
You'll need to do your own research, they don't respond to inquiries.

They do usually take returns.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
They responded quickly and with detail the first time I sent them an inquiry. The second time I got nothing. I don't know if it's due to the plague, but I suspect so.

Good prices, if you want what they are selling. Fast shipping. No complaints. Would do business again.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the practice of parting out guitars, they have pretty good customer service. I have bought multiple bodies and necks from them as well as pickups, hardware, etc... They have never given me a bit of trouble returning an item.

They are the best source for molded abs Fender hard cases, have never found them cheaper anywhere.

You can either go directly to their website, their store on Reverb.com or you can go to their eBay store. I generally buy from them through eBay.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. 👍👍

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It doesnt bother me at all that they part out new guitars.
Fits the consumer demand since we tend to part out our own guitars so it became a business model.
Their prices can be a bit high but seem fairly close to the ballpark, I've bought some pickups and tuners from them.

Parting out guitars does bother me when less valuable but legit vintage guitars get chopped up to make a little more on them.
There are numetous ebay sellers doing that.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have had very good luck using them. I think they likely are a Fender Dealer and thus sell new parts or parts taken off of guitars. Parts like bridge assemblies may come in the "Fender parts" packaging etc.

Area51

Tele-Holic
That is exactly what they do. It you bought all of the individual components to build a guitar, it would probably cost 4x what you can buy the guitar for, but the prices on individual parts are generally cheaper than retail.

They used to do something similar in the bicycle industry. Except, here the components, wheels, and frames were all different manufacturers and often assembled by a company or bike shop. So what companies like Nashbar used to do is buy components (derailleurs, shifters, etc) as if they were going to assemble bikes. Then instead of building a bike they would just sell them. Thus, when you ordered a new derailleur it would come in a plastic bag, not a box like you would buy off the shelf.

This model was shut down some time ago by the oem's. Basically they said if you want to buy components from us you have to adhere to our clauses. This is similar to how you see certain items that are the exact same price where ever you look. This is not by happenstance.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Yes. Everything I have purchased from them was exactly as advertised. They have sales that I watch for also. I have purchased genuine Fender parts and necks from them. They have answered all of my emails and even suggested another part for a build. Timely manner for everything.

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I like to look at the Stratosphere parts website, but I don't understand their business model. Do they acquire new guitars, take them apart and sell the components? Just curious.
What's there to not understand? They part out guitars like people part out cars.

I don't understand the difficulty in understanding that they buy whole guitars and sell the parts because separating parts makes more money then selling them whole.

Just like cars.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Is it just me or is their search function kind of wonky. I can't input: "telecaster rosewood 9.5 thin" and get a manageable amount of hits. Instead, I get dozens and dozens of pages.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Is it just me or is their search function kind of wonky. I can't input: "telecaster rosewood 9.5 thin" and get a manageable amount of hits. Instead, I get dozens and dozens of pages.
It’s not you. Their web site is painful to search thru. I bought from them twice and probably would have bought more often if I could quickly see if they have what I want via a quick daily check.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
They are answering a market demand. If you think guitars are some sacred Holy Grail-like item that should never be adulterated by parting 'em out, then the simple act of replacing a pickup in a guitar is no different.

[silly French accent] "Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've always been curious where they get their stock, though. I'm sure they're not a Fender dealer. Are they getting seconds that they're parting out? Buying dinged up stock from dealers and selling the good parts? If they were in NYC I'd suspect they all fell off the back of a truck, but they're in New Hampshire. That's not a place known for its organized crime.