1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stratocaster setup - tweaking again.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by the embezzler, Mar 31, 2019.

1. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

After living with what I thought was medium action with 9-46 strings on my 2002 Highway One, I became frustrated with the plinkiness of my Strat and redid the setup.

I dropped some relief into the neck so it went from being straight to 0.10 or so at the 8th fret.
    I also raised the strings so that the bass E is maybe 1/32" at the 12th fret and the high E is jacked up even more around 6/64 to facilitate clean string bending. It's approaching a 10" radius I guess.
    Pickup heights are 1/32 or so on the bass side (except for the neck pickup because I drop it down to where the wolf tone dissappears) and around 5/64 on the treble side.

The guitar action looks high now but it feels and plays and sounds so much better.

Anybody else rocking similar specs?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I forget numbers, but your way sounds similar to mine. I set the low E as low as it can without buzzing out on the high frets, and the high E as low as I can while allowing for bends without fretting out. From there I set the middle strings to match the fretboard radius. Then I play and adjust as needed from there.

When I look at my guitars hanging on the wall, from a certain angle the strings do look a little high. I think part of that is to do with the radius-matching (the D string will look "higher" compared to the E sides of the fretboard; this is probably more exaggerated the smaller the radius), and part to do with the simple fact that ultra-low isn't necessarily what you need to achieve what you want.

the embezzler likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Is that your pickups a 1/32nd from the strings?

I put my neck pickups covers flush with the pickguard and bridge pickup high enough to balance volume. Turned the amp up. So much better tone.

awasson and the embezzler like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Your low string far far far too low for me. I'm probably at 1/8+ on the low E and like it there. It's not hard on the fingers playing those big strings anyway. My high E is probably close to yours. at maybe .080 or so. I assume uyou mean .010 relief not .10
    I've never heard of a low E at 1/32.

5. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

this is how I keep my action on my guitars. I don't know the number value because I don't measure. I used to have it higher but I've lowered it some over the last few years. I cannot play guitars with the action set too low.
    IMG_20171209_162935.jpg

6. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Sorry - I meant pickup heghts are 3/32 on the bass side, 1/16 on the treble side. Though I do drop the neck pick way down low on the bass side to eliminate wolf tones.

7. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Sorry, I was wrong. I'm 2/32 on the bass side and 3/32 or so on the treble side at the 12th fret.

8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Dont know how you could get a low e to vibrate cleanly at 1/32

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I see. I think you will find most have the low E higher than the high E. But whatever works is good!

10. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I go for 2/64" High E and 3/64" Low E, or at the highest, 3/64" High E and 4/64" Low E.

I always need to do fretwork to get it to play as low as I want. General fret leveling as well as re-radiusing. Flattening the radius higher up is mandatory for buzz-free bending on the High E string with the lowest possible action.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.