1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stratocaster Mod's

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by otstratman, Feb 8, 2017.

1. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

I own a 2014 Fender "60th Anniversary" American Standard Stratocaster with the FAT 50;s Pickups. I added a "Treble Bleed Volume Mod", a set of "Inductance Base Plates", and an Alembic "Blaster". I usually keep my instruments 100% factory stock but I thought hey why not? Let's see what happens. Great news, all (3) mod's have made my Strat a much better instrument. Are there any other mod's out there that I may not know about? P1262239.JPG

2. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

I like wiring the second tone pot as a blend to add the neck pickup to the bridge. Gives a nice approximation of the in between tele tone. Dead easy too if you're happy to just have a master tone pot

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Anything that adds a tone control for the bridge pup. On my Strat, I have the mid and neck pups share a tone pot and give the bridge its own.

teleplayr likes this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with 545454-- use one tone pot as a master tone (or tone for just neck and bridge, leave middle with no tone control), and then use the other tone pot as a blend so you can get bridge plus neck, which has a very Tele-like sound and is very useful. Some folks feel that keeping the middle without a tone pot improves the tone of the "quack" 2 and 4 positions.

Another thing that helps with quack tone, in my opinion, is to either have a somewhat lower-powered middle pickup compared to N and B, and/or to set its height a bit lower than the neck and bridge pickups.

If you hate the bridge pickup alone, even with a tone pot on it, try raising it up a little bit. If that doesn't work, maybe get one a bit over-wound. If you get your bridge pickup right it should sound really good distorted on both crunchy chords and lead playing. Folks that go for a S-S-H setup on their Strat-- humbucker in the bridge position-- may not have given a single coil in the bridge a good fighting chance to show how wonderful it can actually sound.

I applaud you on your Strat tone quest. So many guys accept the Strat as is even though they are only happy with neck pickup alone and the two "quack" positions. If you work at it a little bit, I think you can get five really great tones out of a Strat as well as N+B-- 6 great, useful tones.

5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The blender mod is one I do on every s-s-s strat I've owned. You do have to get a special pot if you want to do 0-full blend. I've done it using the regular pot and you get some bleed through even when it should be off..

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I did a push/pull pot on my volume that lets me engage the bridge pickup in any position. So you can do neck/bridge - neck/middle/bridge which are two combos that a standard 5 way by itself doesn't allow. And I really like having the neck and bridge on together with a strat.

I like the idea of that blender that's discussed above too!

7. Steve Holt

Also any chance you have some pictures of the guts on this guitar?? I'm really curious to see. I noticed you have an odd jackplate that isn't the standard strat shape and it has a little switch. Is that where you put the treble bleed?

8. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think that plate and switch are for the Alembic Blaster circuit. I believe it's a preamp boost circuit.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. Steve Holt

Yeah that was my second guess but being that I don't know what an Alembic Blaster is, I went with treble bleed :lol:

awasson likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I put the Dan Armstrong Blender mod on three Strats I have, one is the test mule though, and it's quite useful for SSS layouts. Better than an HSS Strat. I also installed a maple block to hard tail the tremolo (Eric Clapton mod) and reversed the bridge pickup angle (Hendrix mod).

awasson likes this.
  11. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Here my mods on unknown strat parts:
    -changed all chrome to golden
    -copper foil inside
    -added two humbuckers with 3 way switch
    -fret level + full setup
    -CTS pots, Fender switch

Attached Files:

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

I am a huge fan of the "Strat Lover's Circuit' switching mod. My 88 MIJ Strat had a Lace Sensor Red-Silver-Blue set with that switching mod and GraphTek saddles and nut. I decided to update it to something more blues-rock and less 90's indie sounding. So it's going to still have the same switching circuit with a mixed set of DiMarzio Area pickups, a 58, a 67, and a 61.

But while I was plotting what to do to make pretty much the ultimate Swiss Army Knife Strat, I discovered the Turnstyle Switch and the Clapton Signature Strat MidBoost circuit.

So now I'll have TWO Strats. One is my 88 with the DiMarzio's and the Strat Lover's switching. The other will basically be a Frankensteined Clapton with a Turnstyle Switch.

They will both still look stock. But they'll both be serious hot rod guitars. You can't beat that.

13. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

I have the Villex passive mid range booster in my '82 strat replacing one tone control. It gives straight through plus three stages of mid-boost. The fourth position gives humbucker sounds from single coil. Highly recommended!

14. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had to look up most of those...very interesting. Wired in a Fat-O-Caster v2 switch today - need to make a wall chart to work out what's going on! Plenty of nice tones though, with bonus bridge tone control. Quick, cheap & effective mod Thumbs up.jpg

BB likes this.
  15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm interested to hear more about the Franken-Clapton guitar. I built one of those Clapton preamps recently and they work really well on Strats or Telecasters. They really fatten up the pickups. How are you planning to do that Clapton guitar with the addition of the turnstyle but retain the stock appearance? Won't the turnstyle require another knob? The Clapton circuit has volume, mid-boost + TBX tone control.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If your middle pup is RWRP(asking cause you said they were 50's pups) a series/parallel mod would be great.

17. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

100_2440.JPG 100_2466.JPG 100_5824.JPG 100_5826.JPG 100_5825.JPG I have 5 Strats now including one Schectser "Mercury" Strat which I actually favor over the Fenders. The Mercury has 3 mini toggles to on/off the pickups as opposed to a toggle switch so I can get all 7 combinations... My other Strats have the standard 5 way toggle but I have a mini switch on them so when the switch is in the neck or neck/middle position I can flip it and the bridge pickup will be added to that position...

Also, all my Strats have the (always in the way) top volume control removed and moved to the middle hole. The bottom hole has a master tone control which works on all three pickups...

I have McEwan B-Benders and Rolling G-Benders on two of the Strats and a HipShot B-Bender on another one as well as a Rolling B-Bender on another one. I have one "Stock Strat (MIA) with the exception of the wireing mods.... Here's a shot or two of some of my guitars......JH in Va.

orangeblossom likes this.
  18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

I just found this looking back through this neighborhood.

My slide Strat has the Volume pot, the Turnstyle Switch and a pot that controls the mid-boost. It looks stock. But it's a beast. Although in fairness, I'm considering going back to something more like a stock Clapton Sig, just with different switching. But that would mean having all the variability come from the switch itself. I'm not sure of a version of that I like yet.

19. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I didn't know that Alembic is still making the Stratoblaster. I put one of those in my 1976 Strat, back in 1976! I've since removed it and play the guitar stock.

But the in-board preamp-boost is really pretty cool!

I also like to wire the switch to get:
    1-middle
    2-middle and bridge
    3-bridge
    4-neck & bridge √
    5-neck

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

My strat started as a partscaster with HSH lace sensors on a super switch with 2 extra mini switches.

While it sounded ok, it never wowed me.

It took a full gut and redo to hit paydirt.

It now sports a set of lace holy grails (I like lace products) through a Clapton midboost circuit.
    The only thing I want to add is a switch to add neck and bridge together.
    Maybe one of those 10 way freeway switches?

I like the completely stock look, btw.

The clapton circuit takes care of the treble bleed issue. None required.

I go from clean to scream with the twiddling of some knobs.

Best mod I have ever done, and I rarely use the midboost. Normal strat volume is on 7. Going to 10 compares to a humbucker volumewise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.