Stratocaster mid/bridge pick up wiring.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by fasteddie42, Mar 16, 2019.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'm finally getting around to modding my cv stratocaster.

I'd like to add tone control to the bridge pickup because it came wired wide open.

Do you prefer the bottom tone pot to:

Control both the mid/bridge pickup?

Leave the middle wide open and affect only the bridge pickup?

Bonus question:

How does one increase the "quack"?
    (I'm aware that's some deep waters)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

yarp...

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Add a jumper wire between the two middle lugs on the switch. And, that would be on the pot side of the switch.

Not sure why it wasn't done from the factory.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Move the tone pot from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup. Leave the middle open - volume only. This will increase the quack, but you'll most likely need to lower the middle pickup height because of it's new brighter output(this helps people that have a problem picking over the middle pickup area). You'll most likely need to adjust the bridge pickup height too since it won't be overly bright now.

You may want to try a series/parallel mod on the middle pickup for positions 2 & 4 to add more Fat Tone in those positions when wanted.

awasson, Mr. Neutron and voskarp like this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Tone 1: Mid/neck
    Tone 2: Bridge

If you’re after quack, remember the originals weren’t RWRP. I have read some speculation that the humbucking 2 and 4 positions on a modern Strat also loses some high frequency and therefore some spank.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Rwrp doesn’t hurt quack. I believe going with tone on bridge and wide ooen middle might be slightly better for quack. I usually just do master tone tgen use extra tone pot to be able to dial in neck pickup so I can get neck+bridge option.

7. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I get the best quack at the bridge/middle setting and I wired my strat so that one tone is for bridge-only and the other tone is for middle/neck.

8. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think the Jimmie Vaughn Signature Model does it right: tones on neck and bridge.

You can adjust your "quack" by playing with your pickup heights. I don 't have a guide for that, you'll just have to tinker with it.

voskarp likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Strat is wired for the bridge and middle on tone 2. I think what I’d rather have is a blender to balance pickups. I’m wired for 7 tones and I’m not sure how that works or if it would be one of those mods that I’d wish I hadn’t made.

Ricky D. likes this.
  10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I hadn't thought about the middle neck/bridge set up.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Maximum Quackage: lower the middle pickup so the pickup cover is level with the pickguard. Start with the neck pickup low and raise it slowly until you hear maximum quack. Strum over the neck pickup and high frets as if you are playing an acoustic guitar. Then raise the bridge pickup so switching between neck and bridge gives volume parity.

I mod my Strats with master volume master tone and armstrong blender on the second tone pot -- so I can blend between classic SSS and HSH.

12. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Chris,
    I believe you're correct about RSRP not making a difference.
    But moving the tone to the bridge won't make a difference when it comes to "better" quack either.
    Think about it:
    Position #2 activates both the bridge and middle pickups and in that position they share the same tone pot. It won't matter which pickup the tone pot is assigned to when using both pickups simultaneously.

I do move the 2nd tone pot to the bridge pickup though; just to be able to roll off some highs in position #1.

Note; It is better for quack tone at position #4 to remove the 2nd tone pot from the middle pickup. Because if you don't, you end up with both tone pots activated in that same position #4 which will cause a darker, muddier quack tone in that position.

I personally have just the 2nd tone pot on the bridge pickup only and no tone on the middle or neck.
    Instead, change that 1st tone pot to a no-load neck/bridge blender. It's a much more versatile and useful arrangement.

It enables you to beef up the bridge pickup by blending in some neck while retaining the highs if you want. And it also enables you to add some brightness to the neck pickup by blending in some of the bridge when in position #5.
    Plus you get that Tele middle sound in either position 1 or 5 when you turn the blender full on. And you can get all three pickups in positions 2 and 4 if you like. (not so useful to me)

S Mac

[edit]
    I re-read your post and see that you are already hip to the blender pot.

The advantage of having the tone pot assigned to the bridge only instead of a master is that I can set it and leave it for quickly switching back to the bridge pickup on the fly during a song and not have to also re-adjust the tone knob.

This works for me at the expense of sacrificing tone control for the middle and neck alone.
    I simply set my amp for the best middle alone sound and roll off a little bridge tone to compensate.
    I've never needed to roll off tone in the neck position.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    chris m. likes this.
  13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great option. Did that on my old MIJ '67 RI and love it. Used a Stew Mac Mega E switch to do it. Have one tone pot on the neck, one on bridge. Only downside is no middle-only option, but I prefer neck/bridge.

Also added the neck/bridge option to my Jimmie Vaughn, but with a push/pull tone pot, and made the first tone pot neck/middle, second is bridge (also is the push/pull). Kinda like the Mega E switch setup better though. Much simpler.

Just realized you probably were just referring to tone pots on neck and bridge... I like that too, but was referring to having a neck/bridge combo option, like a Tele middle position. Sounds great on a Strat too!

14. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This is the way I’ve got mine done. As a bonus, to balance the middle pickup it had to be lowered which makes it darn near impossible to hit with a stray pick.

Zepfan likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I like the center pot to be neck/middle, the lower pot to be bridge. My thinking is center/neck are similar tone.

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Minor tweaks of the quack positions are pretty much swamped in a gig situation IMO. A waste of time for me.

I wired my Strat with master volume and master tone and a Fralin blender pot to mix bridge and neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.